Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

A strange smoke..........

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

A strange smoke..........

Postby Listener666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Having found a Jar of C&D Burley Fake #3 that I had forgotten about, I have been smoking the 1oz that was left for most of the week. I initially dismissed this baccy as to rough and overpowering for me.
With a year in the Jar it had mellowed out and was very smooth and quite enjoyable. A little flat compared to the fresh tin but pleasant, very smooth, the Kentucky now shines and for me a much better smoke.
I lit a small cob this morning with my usual coffee and started to enjoy the taste. After a while I got slight undertones of cigar and........what I can only describe as that Gawith rope taste.......just a little.....but definitely there. When I tapped out the cob on the big stone in the garden (which I do with cobs :oops: ) i noticed the small "C" i had put on the base. This was my Condor cob!

Did I notice the "Condor" taste....no
Did it taste like a rope....slightly!
Have I ever smoked rope in the pipe....no
Did I enjoy the baccy.....not sure!

I'm unsure as to how this makes sense but it intrigues me.........
Oh.....and the nicotine was far to high....( my usual morning bowl is OJK so I'm not sure why I found it so high)

Its an interesting blend for sure.........
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Re: A strange smoke..........

Postby KevLa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I think it'll be the Kentucky that you're tasting and feeling, mate :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 am

There’s no doubting the value of jarring tobacco for a while. Glad you enjoyed this. Surprised you didn’t taste the Condor ghost! A pleasant experience for you...
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Listener666 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 am

Geo3rge wrote:There’s no doubting the value of jarring tobacco for a while. Glad you enjoyed this. Surprised you didn’t taste the Condor ghost! A pleasant experience for you...

When I realised it was the Condor cob I was surprised that I hadn't tasted the Condor................I think KevLa is right....... it was the Kentucky that was coming through...but everything was so much smoother .........although it had lost a little taste.

Right............on to some Peterson 3P's......I'v had jarred for a while.....just can't get much taste no matter how I prepare it!
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion