Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Jim's St. Bruno Reviews.

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

Jim's St. Bruno Reviews.

Postby JimInks » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:06 pm

St. Bruno Flake:
The Virginias are slightly grassy and earthy with some citrus and stewed dark fruit, which indicates bright and dark Virginias were used. I notice the properties of the dark Va. more. The dark fired Kentucky has some wood, earth and a little spice to go along with a little boldness as an important support player. I don't know what the floral toppings are, but they are mild and aided with citrus. It reminds me a little of geranium and tonquin, but while the toppings do sublimate the tobaccos to some extent, you won’t miss out on what they have to offer. The strength, taste and nic-hit are medium. Won’t bite even if you’re puffing like a steam engine. The flakes are easily manipulated to suit your preference. It needs a light dry time, though I find it does well without much of it, and drying it too much would lessen the flavor a little. Burns at a slow to moderate rate with a smooth, consistent taste to the finish. No dull, weak, or harsh spots. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. Easily repeatable during your smoking day.

St. Bruno Ready Rubbed:
The Virginias are slightly grassy and earthy with some citrus and stewed dark fruit, which indicates bright and dark Virginias were used. I notice the properties of the dark Va. more. The dark fired Kentucky has some wood, earth and a little spice to go along with a little boldness as an important support player. I don't know what the floral toppings are, but they are mild and aided with citrus. It reminds me a little of geranium and tonquin, but while the toppings do sublimate the tobaccos to some extent, you won’t miss out on what they have to offer. The strength, taste and nic-hit are medium. Won’t bite even if you’re puffing like a steam engine. As with all ready rubbed cuts, it’s easy to deal with. It needs a light dry time, though I find it does well without much of it, and drying it too much would lessen the flavor a little. Burns at a slow to moderate rate with a smooth, consistent taste to the finish. No dull, weak, or harsh spots. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. Easily repeatable during your smoking day.

The only differences I note in the ready rubbed version is that the tobacco flavor is a shade more obvious, which is often the case with this cut as more tobacco is exposed to air. It's also slightly mellower, which is also attributable to the cut.
JimInks

Re: Jim's St. Bruno Reviews.

Postby PseudoNim » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:37 am

According to Simon at My smoking shop on Preston, it's the number 1 seller in the UK, personally, I wouldn't be supprised I always have some flake to hand, both opened and unopened and it's not unknown for me to pick up the odd pouch of the ready rubbed, though I prefer the flake, but even here, it's getting harder to find the flake version unless you go to a real B&M. Having said that, Tesco seem to have started re stocking the flake, I was in there earlier in the week and thought, to hell with it, I'll see if they have any, they did, the very last packet of flake in captivity, so of course I took it home, didn't want it to get lonely :)
Proud Member of the "Royal Society of Old Codgers and Coffin Dodgers" Mild restrained panic is the British way
PseudoNim
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby JimInks » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:20 pm

PseudoNim wrote:According to Simon at My smoking shop on Preston, it's the number 1 seller in the UK, personally, I wouldn't be supprised I always have some flake to hand, both opened and unopened and it's not unknown for me to pick up the odd pouch of the ready rubbed, though I prefer the flake, but even here, it's getting harder to find the flake version unless you go to a real B&M. Having said that, Tesco seem to have started re stocking the flake, I was in there earlier in the week and thought, to hell with it, I'll see if they have any, they did, the very last packet of flake in captivity, so of course I took it home, didn't want it to get lonely :)

I think you'll see better distribution now that MacBaren owns it.
JimInks

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 pm

Excellent, Jim. Super reviews on my all-time favourite tobacco. I smoke this every day, preferring the flake over the RR, but the latter will do if I've nothing else. Everything you say I can agree to. It has great aroma, taste and feel. The smell from the pouch, even better if the tobacco can be stored in a jar for a few months (the fruitiness increases considerably), is enticing every time. The moistness only adds, in my opinion, to the pleasure, particularly with the flake when rubbing out in the hand.
This was my first pipe tobacco when I was a young man, influenced as I was by seeming legions of pipe smokers in my youth and many of whom smoked SB. It made an impression then and has remained with me since.
A wonderful blend, capturing all the nuances you mention. If every tobacco but this one disappeared overnight, I'd still be happy to smoke this all day long, every day of the week.
My thanks for your reviews. They were a pleasure to read. I sincerely hope that availability in America will enable many people, at the very least, to sample this unique blend. As to the UK, I'm hoping it will be an indefinite purchase, albeit, eventually I fear, from tobacconists only. I will continue to buy this until the very last shred leaves the last factory!
Happy smoking.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby JimInks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:57 am

Geo3rge wrote:Excellent, Jim. Super reviews on my all-time favourite tobacco. I smoke this every day, preferring the flake over the RR, but the latter will do if I've nothing else. Everything you say I can agree to. It has great aroma, taste and feel. The smell from the pouch, even better if the tobacco can be stored in a jar for a few months (the fruitiness increases considerably), is enticing every time. The moistness only adds, in my opinion, to the pleasure, particularly with the flake when rubbing out in the hand.
This was my first pipe tobacco when I was a young man, influenced as I was by seeming legions of pipe smokers in my youth and many of whom smoked SB. It made an impression then and has remained with me since.
A wonderful blend, capturing all the nuances you mention. If every tobacco but this one disappeared overnight, I'd still be happy to smoke this all day long, every day of the week.
My thanks for your reviews. They were a pleasure to read. I sincerely hope that availability in America will enable many people, at the very least, to sample this unique blend. As to the UK, I'm hoping it will be an indefinite purchase, albeit, eventually I fear, from tobacconists only. I will continue to buy this until the very last shred leaves the last factory!
Happy smoking.
Steve

I greatly thank you for the very kind comments and your interesting story, George. I love the tobacco, too, and also like the flake better than the ready rubbed, but I don't mind smoking the ready rubbed at all.
JimInks

Postby PipeStoke » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:19 am

Thank you, Jim for the great review and for the other comments on St. Bruno in the thread.

This is one of those blends that I'm hoping to have a stab at sometime. It's obviously not available here in Australia — mainly because almost no pipe tobacco is. I did however just check now, and I see they have it at 4Noggins. From what they write about it, there's the suggestion that this American availability is due to Mac Baren's takeover. I wish I had noticed that about twelve hours ago when I ordered my latest little shipment from 4Noggins, as I would have included a tin of it, although then I would have had to leave out MM 965, of which I am nearly out. :| Next time!

J.
PipeStoke

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:50 am

Hope you can get some, J. You mention tins. In the UK St. Bruno is only in pouches; how I would love it to be in tins! Good luck with the next order and, if you do get some, let us know how you get on with it.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby PipeStoke » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, from everything I'd heard, St. Bruno only came in pouches these days, so I was a bit surprised to see it in a tin at 4Noggins. I'm quite happy about that though, as pouches are more likely to be caught in Australian customs, it seems. Perhaps the tins are a Mac Baren initiative? I know they used to come in tins, of course - I have a couple of old empty tins I picked up at a market.

I'll definitely be getting some in the next shipment.
PipeStoke

Postby JimInks » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 pm

The Ready Rubbed is in a pouch. The Flake is in a tin.
JimInks

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 pm

My, I'm very jealous - you can get the flake in a tin! We cannot do that over here in the UK! I'd give a lot to buy a tin of St. Bruno. Enjoy it when you can, folks. I may just have a look at 4Noggins myself, though I doubt that I'll be ordering. I just want to see what the tin looks like!
Happy smoking.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:28 pm

I just received some and am having a bowl of the flake. Pleasant enough, but a bit light to my tastes. But I was smoking Irish Flake at work earlier and it's not easy to downshift from strong to mild. I'll withhold judgement until I've finished the tin.

And, yes, it is a tin which is interesting because it includes an insert on the topic of vinegar. The insert explains that because the old Purity Laws limited additives, vinegar was commonly used in British tobaccos as a preservative. It adds that vinegar can cause rust to form inside of a tin, but that this does not affect the tobacco. My conclusion is that St. Bruno must still use vinegar, something that I had never heard of before.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby JimInks » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:30 am

ratatosk wrote:I just received some and am having a bowl of the flake. Pleasant enough, but a bit light to my tastes. But I was smoking Irish Flake at work earlier and it's not easy to downshift from strong to mild. I'll withhold judgement until I've finished the tin.

And, yes, it is a tin which is interesting because it includes an insert on the topic of vinegar. The insert explains that because the old Purity Laws limited additives, vinegar was commonly used in British tobaccos as a preservative. It adds that vinegar can cause rust to form inside of a tin, but that this does not affect the tobacco. My conclusion is that St. Bruno must still use vinegar, something that I had never heard of before.

MacBaren uses vinegar in ODF, and I suspect HH Latakia Flake, too.
JimInks

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:46 pm

I've not heard of vinegar either; what an interesting discovery. Must be a very small amount; you cannot detect it in the taste. Interesting too on your comment about its lightness, Richard. It's described over here as a medium blend.
Possibly because it is not overly strong it has been a great daily go-to for me for years. It doesn't hit you over the head! Just always gives me satisfaction in every bowlful and its mellowness is a great attraction. Hope it can figure somewhere in your repertoire, but if not, so be it! Happy smoking...
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:58 am

After smoking several bowls of this over a couple of weeks, I've concluded that I like it fairly well. It is more or less medium strength when not smoked after something like Irish Flake, just a tiny bit soapy, but overall a nice enough blend. What does not work is the pricing in the US, it is several dollars high. So not a regular that I would stock up, but I'll keep a bit around.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Pipe Tobacco Reviews