Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

SG's Lakeland Dark

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

SG's Lakeland Dark

Postby KevinP » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:03 am

If you've read anything that says this is 1792 without the Tonquin, don't believe them.

The instant I opened the tin and the smell hit me (which it did before I intentionally took a sniff, in part because I was distracted by a catalog in the tin), I was immediately reminded of a rope. In fact, I had to stop recording my off-puff review to get my rope-dedicated pipe.

I would say it's a tad milder than the three ropes I'm familiar with*, but then, every tobacco I've ever smoked since I started in 1987 is milder than those three tobaccos, so that's not saying much.

I'm not a fan of the nicotine hit and smoke in such a way to minimize it, but if you like it, this may be worth seeking out.

Don't get the 1972 reference at all...
KevinP

Re: SG's Lakeland Dark

Postby KevLa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:39 am

I adore this stuff and have a tin on the go at the moment. In fact, it is on the desk next to me, here at work, as I type. I'm bound to say, however, that I think it is very much like their 1792 Flake but without the tonquin bean flavouring. It has the same depth of flavour, creamy and earthy, with no bite and the same satisfying strength.
I love 1792 Flake, but I prefer Lakeland Dark.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevinP » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:46 am

Love 1792. Enjoyed the little I've had of this, but I'm just not getting the comparison.
KevinP

Postby KevLa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:55 am

KevinP wrote:Love 1792. Enjoyed the little I've had of this, but I'm just not getting the comparison.

I think it's supposed to be exactly the same tobacco, isn't it? :?
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevinP » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:30 am

That's what I heard. Certainly in a different form though; one is flake and one is broken. I just compared them and LD is considerably darker in colour. (How much Tonquin contributes to that, I have no idea.)
KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:32 am

The official website doesn't say anything about 1792.

http://www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk/pipe-to ... cco.p.aspx
KevinP

Postby KevLa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:43 am

Interesting! Tobaccoreviews.com seems to be quoting Smokingpipes.com: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1026/samuel-gawith-lakeland-dark.
I'd like to know for sure, I suppose, but then I'll love the smoke either way so I don't suppose it matters :)
KevLa

Return to Pipe Tobacco Reviews