Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Daughters & Ryan 'Picayune'

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

Daughters & Ryan 'Picayune'

Postby KevLa » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 am

Hello, my friends!

I've recently bought a pound each of many of Daughters & Ryan's tobaccos, including Picayune. I've been smoking this very regularly, in recent weeks, as anyone following the "What Are You Smoking Now?" threads will attest, and have found it to be an exceptional tobacco, especially given the remarkably low price.

First and foremost, Picayune is a strong blend. In fact, I rate it as "Very Strong", and it is much rarer for me to describe a blend that way than it is for many of my fellow pipe smokers to do so. As a former cigarette smoker, I believe I have a greater tolerance for nicotine than many pipe smokers, and thus what is a strong blend for some is medium or even mild for me. If I find this to be very strong, that means that it is likely to be much too strong for many others. Be warned!

Since I smoke a pipe primarily as a means of enjoying the satiation of my nicotine cravings, having a very strong blend in my rotation is almost a must, and this blend fits the bill and then some. However, that is not to say there is nothing else going for it. Perhaps also owing to my years smoking cigarettes, I tend to prefer pipe blends with plenty of flavour, and Picayune fits that bill, too; it is deeply flavoursome and full of complexity.

The tobacco is very dry from the bag, though not quite as dry as one or two of the other Daughters & Ryan blends I have tried. It would probably benefit from a little rehydration, but I have yet to try this. As our fellow Tamp-and-Puffer Jim points out, at least one isn't paying for the weight of much water. The dryness does result in the tobacco burning quickly, of course, which also increases the rate at which nicotine is delivered. Picayune is of a coarse cut though, owing to its dryness, it breaks up all too easily in the bag.

The aforementioned flavour is not just plentiful, but also full of complexity. It has an earthy, woody flavour, powerful and dark in its savouriness, shot through with occasional sweet and even floral notes. The aftertaste, especially after expelling smoke nasally, is sometimes slightly wafer-like, very similar to the taste of a cheap ice-cream cone when you pop the last bit in your mouth having run out of ice-cream. Whilst we're on the topic of nasal expulsion, I recommend that this should be done lightly and with an appropriate touch of trepidation; the pepperiness (of the Perique?) may make your nose sting, and might cause a sneeze or two or even a bit of eye-watering.

Despite my being something of a fast smoker, and this being a very dry blend, I have experienced hardly any bite whilst smoking this blend.

For those looking for a very strong and very flavoursome tobacco, at a very low price, I can highly recommend Daughters & Ryan Picayune. In contradiction of its name, it is of great value. Nine out of ten :D_,~
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Re: Daughters & Ryan 'Picayune'

Postby Desolbones » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 pm

I thank you Kevin, you made a sale with this review. Picayune has been on the radar since I first noticed it. It and Galoise(?) were the definition of hard core in my high school smoking area, also as Jim noted in the South (Tampa). Curious to see if holds to the memories.
Enjoy!
Desolbones

Postby KevLa » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:35 am

Desolbones wrote:I thank you Kevin, you made a sale with this review. Picayune has been on the radar since I first noticed it. It and Galoise(?) were the definition of hard core in my high school smoking area, also as Jim noted in the South (Tampa). Curious to see if holds to the memories.
Enjoy!

No worries, Greg, you're welcome! I hope you love it as much as I do, my friend :)
Thanks,
Kev.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Good review, Kev. I haven't tried this one, and you made it sound worth trying. Glad to see D&R blends get more attention.
JimInks

Postby KevLa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:23 pm

High praise coming from you, Jim, thank you! I hope you like it if you try it; please do let us know ;)
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:21 am

KevLa wrote:High praise coming from you, Jim, thank you! I hope you like it if you try it; please do let us know ;)

I hope to sometime, but I'm not currently buying much tobacco. But there's no doubt D&R uses high quality tobaccos and their prices are very reasonable.
JimInks

Return to Pipe Tobacco Reviews