Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Jim's GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar Reviews.

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

Jim's GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar Reviews.

Postby JimInks » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Here are my reviews of the latest GLP blends.

Regents Flake:
The mature red Virginia is very tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth and a minor spice note, and is a team player even though there’s more of it than there is of the other tobaccos. The citrus sweet, grassy bright Virginia also seems to have a drop of honey in a support role. The raisin and spice from the perique mostly lurks in the background. The Izmir is a tad smokey, very woody, mildly floral and musty, and moderately spicy along with a buttery sweet and sour taste as it constantly competes with the Virginias. At times, it will dominate. Given that, you will still notice all the inherent characteristics of the tobaccos most of the time. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. It’s medium in strength while the taste level is just past medium. The flakes are lightly moist and not thick, and I saw no need to dry them. Mildly complex, it burns at a reasonable pace for a flake; cool, clean, and even with a fairly smooth flavor. It has no weak or harsh spots, and won’t bite. Requires a normal number of relights for a flake product, and leaves virtually no dampness in the bowl. The after taste is mildly woody sweet and rather pleasant. The room note is pleasant. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but those experienced in Oriental blends may find it closer to being one.

Temple Bar:
The earthy, tangy, dark fruit sweet red Virginia also has a touch of spice, and takes a lead over the other components, though not by much. The grassy, citrusy gold Virginia is in a supporting role. The Orientals offer smoke, wood, a little sweetness with a hint of sour and spice as they comprise an important part of the taste. The raisin and peppery perique is a very minor player, not always obvious to your taste buds, but you’ll occasionally sense its presence to one extent or another. The nic-hit is close to being medium. The strength is medium, and taste of the blend is just past medium. Won’t bite even when pushed, and has no dull, harsh or weak spots. The plug is mildly moist thick and a bit dense, but is easy to break apart to suit your packing preference. Because the plug is made of whole leaf, expect some veins in the tobacco as you prepare it. Moderately complex, and well balanced with body and depth, you notice most every aspect of the tobaccos in every puff. Burns a little slow, cool, clean and smooth from start to finish. Easily burns to ash with fewer relights than expected. Has a very pleasant woody sweet and sour after taste, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. The room note is pleasant. Not quite an all day smoke, but it certainly repeatable.
JimInks

Re: Jim's GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar Reviews.

Postby KevLa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:59 am

Great reviews, Jim, thanks. But I've been meaning to ask for clarification: your "nic-hit" is obviously what I call "strength", but then what do you mean by "strength" and "taste"? :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Obviously nic-hit refers to nicotine, but the strength comment refers to how powerful the blend is, which is different than the taste level. I've had blends that durn near knocked me off my feet because of its power level, but the taste did not. Some tobaccos have more flavor than strength and vice versa. But I consider nicotine to not quite be a part of that, and in any event, when I didn't used to mention it, I'd get asked, so I started including it.
JimInks

Postby KevLa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:36 pm

So, if "nic-hit" means nicotine strength, and "taste" means flavour strength, I'm afraid I still don't understand what you mean by "strength" or "power." Surely, if a smoke 'knocks one off one's feet,' that would be owing to nicotine overdose...? :?
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:36 pm

KevLa wrote:So, if "nic-hit" means nicotine strength, and "taste" means flavour strength, I'm afraid I still don't understand what you mean by "strength" or "power." Surely, if a smoke 'knocks one off one's feet,' that would be owing to nicotine overdose...? :?

I think nicotine is a nuance indicator of strength. I've had some strong blends where the nic-hit was mild, mostly in aros or semi-aros, but also in a number of straight Virginia and English blends.
JimInks

Postby KevLa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Do you mean that some blends seem to contain low amounts of nicotine but impart that nicotine quickly, while other blends contain lots but impart it slowly?
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:20 pm

KevLa wrote:Do you mean that some blends seem to contain low amounts of nicotine but impart that nicotine quickly, while other blends contain lots but impart it slowly?

No, you're reading too much into what I said. Take what I wrote literally. It is true that there are some blends where the nicotine seems to gather strength as you go along, but that wasn't what I meant in my earlier post. Some blends are just stronger than their nicotine content.
JimInks

Postby KevLa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm trying to understand what you mean, mate, believe me! If taking your words literally was sufficient, pray be assured that that is what I would do. I appreciate your reviews very much, and wish merely to share the insights you proffer.
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:44 pm

KevLa wrote:I'm trying to understand what you mean, mate, believe me! If taking your words literally was sufficient, pray be assured that that is what I would do. I appreciate your reviews very much, and wish merely to share the insights you proffer.

I know you're not trying to be difficult, buddy. :D I just don't another way to explain it better. And I also know you have respect for my reviews, which I have always appreciated, so everything's good between us. It's just that the nicotine level doesn't always translate to the strength of the blend, and it's hard to explain any better than that.
JimInks

Postby KevLa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks for that, Jim. I'm finding this very interesting. So, by "strength" you mean how much the blend 'goes to one's head', potentially causing dizziness, and this is not necessarily owing to nicotine but to some other factor(s), right?
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:31 pm

KevLa wrote:Thanks for that, Jim. I'm finding this very interesting. So, by "strength" you mean how much the blend 'goes to one's head', potentially causing dizziness, and this is not necessarily owing to nicotine but to some other factor(s), right?

Basically, yes. Think of it in terms of wine. Some wines are stronger than others even though the alcohol content may be the same. Does that make sense?
JimInks

Postby KevLa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, I'm not much of an alcohol imbiber, but I know I can't handle sparkling wine at all, because of something the bubbles do in tandem with the alcohol. But then how do you tell where "nic-hit" ends and another source of "strength" begins?
KevLa

Postby JimInks » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 pm

KevLa wrote:Well, I'm not much of an alcohol imbiber, but I know I can't handle sparkling wine at all, because of something the bubbles do in tandem with the alcohol. But then how do you tell where "nic-hit" ends and another source of "strength" begins?

I'm not a drinker either. As far as your question goes, nicotine power is part of what determines the strength, and not the only factor. Honestly, I've already given you the best explanations I am capable of. I don't know what more to say.
JimInks

Postby Hermit » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:39 am

They sound great!
I picked up five tins of each.
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:58 am

Oh... OK then, Jim. Well, thanks for taking so much trouble to attempt to explain yourself. I can't pretend I understand, but that's OK. I can still find your reviews, including your ratings of "nic-hit" and "taste", meaningful and useful :)
KevLa

Postby Josh1982 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 pm

JimInks wrote:Obviously nic-hit refers to nicotine, but the strength comment refers to how powerful the blend is, which is different than the taste level. I've had blends that durn near knocked me off my feet because of its power level, but the taste did not. Some tobaccos have more flavor than strength and vice versa. But I consider nicotine to not quite be a part of that, and in any event, when I didn't used to mention it, I'd get asked, so I started including it.

I must admit that I've also been mystified by the strength vs. nicotine conundrum, but after reading this exchange I believe I am beginning to understand it better. Another great review. Thanks!
“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.” -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
Josh1982

Return to Pipe Tobacco Reviews