Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Tabac Manil - Pure Semois (La Brumeuse)

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

Tabac Manil - Pure Semois (La Brumeuse)

Postby Listener666 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I thought I would attempt a review of this unusual baccy. Remember with less than 2 years under my belt this won't be up to JimInks Standard.

Background: I like Burley and Burley based blends, a few cigars and have never liked cigarettes.

The pouch note is not really very strong for me....slightly cigar like but only just so.
As we all know...it's a dry as sticks and quite a bland nearly grey tinged colour.....not really appealing!
Packed tight, it lights simply and the initial taste is similar (not the same) as a very mild cigar. Once going there is quite a lot of smoke and the burn rate , as expected is very rapid.
The taste is quite difficult to describe as it is unusual to say the least..............sort of a cross between Burley and Virginia......quite earthy, but a rich earthiness and dry to the mouth. I found it important to take it slowly as this brings a wonderful mellow floral taste in the background that is easily lost if puffed to hard. The Burley type of taste continues throughout the bowl, never bitter sour or hot and gets sweeter near to the end if not over puffed.
I always smoke it in a cob and find the poker ( Dagner in My case) works best for me.
I was expecting this baccy to be very high in Nicotine but found it moderate to high and the aftertaste to be only moderate which was a bonus as I spend most of the afternoon chewing mints after a bowl of OJK :)
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Re: Tabac Manil - Pure Semois (La Brumeuse)

Postby greenmonster714 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:23 am

Nice review. I had some homegrown Semois sent to me by a friend. I thought it was good but not something I'd like to smoke all the time. He sent me a few orientals and a virgina as well. Each had their own tastes. I liked a few and some I did not. So, I threw them all together and....poof. I am now a mater blender. :lol:
greenmonster714

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 am

Throwing things together is certainly something most pipe smokers do at times. I have a couple of jars of stuff of my own from the odds and ends of blends. Not bad, either!
I've tried some Smois. Found it a bit strong but not bad overall. I tend to be a Virginia person, with the odd foray into Latakia country.
Enjoy your tobaccos.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu May 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks, chaps. I need to get hold of some of this stuff and give it a try. Will report back if and when :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Listener666 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:13 am

KevLa wrote:Thanks, chaps. I need to get hold of some of this stuff and give it a try. Will report back if and when :)

I'll send you some down....just give me your address (via pm).....I have a good supply chain 8-)
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby KevLa » Fri May 05, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks, bud. I'll send you my address, tomorrow :D
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Pipe Tobacco Reviews