Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Gawith Hoggarth Bulk BROWN IRISH TWIST

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

Gawith Hoggarth Bulk BROWN IRISH TWIST

Postby brim325 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Looking for input on this tobacco.

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
brim325

Re: Gawith Hoggarth Bulk BROWN IRISH TWIST

Postby cakeanddottle » Sun May 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Sliced Black Twist is the leading cause of stroke in pipe smokers. I think Brown Twist is even stronger. It's definitely worth a try. A dark, potent fired Virginia, with none of the sweetness McClelland dark Va's have. For the nicotine jaded.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby ChuckMac » Sun May 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Right up your alley. Reasonably (some say very) strong, a little soapy. Odd aroma.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby brim325 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks for the reply s gents. Think I will order a pound of it & a couple pounds of PS Balkan Supreme .

brim325

Postby ScotsJim » Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 am

brim325 wrote:Thanks for the reply s gents. Think I will order a pound of it & a couple pounds of PS Balkan Supreme .

Give Dark X X twist a try if you can get it Brim. It has a nice strong plum like old fashioned tobacco taste. I like to have this and some brown bogie lying around. Methinks you'd like em ;)

Regards,
Jim
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby brim325 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:10 pm

ScotsJim wrote:
brim325 wrote:Thanks for the reply s gents. Think I will order a pound of it & a couple pounds of PS Balkan Supreme .

Give Dark X X twist a try if you can get it Brim. It has a nice strong plum like old fashioned tobacco taste. I like to have this and some brown bogie lying around. Methinks you'd like em ;)

Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim , I will try them.

brim325

Postby brim325 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:07 pm

This is my kind of tobacco, the black Irish twist is good but I like the brown the best , strength , flavor, it there. I sliced it real thin so that it almost makes a shag type cut because it is pretty moist almost oily like , but with the thin slice it works great.

brim325

Postby Slickheadhunter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Can someone tell me if there is any difference between brown bogie and brown irish twist from Gawith & Hoggarth?
Thanks
Slickheadhunter

Postby cakeanddottle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:22 pm

I thought I read someone compare the two somewhere and state the G&H was stouter
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby ChuckMac » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Best I remember the BB is sweeter but still a strong smoke.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby Slickheadhunter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:I thought I read someone compare the two somewhere and state the G&H was stouter

The G&H brown Irish twist or G&H brown bogie??
Slickheadhunter

Postby ScotsJim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 am

cakeanddottle wrote:Sliced Black Twist is the leading cause of stroke in pipe smokers.

Anything can cause strokes. Classic Burley Kake can cause strokes. I nearly had a fuckin' stroke through frustration trying to find any nicotine whatsoever, not to mention the stress I then went through trying to get that overly hot sickening taste out of my mouth :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Jim
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby Taspiper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:27 am

brim325 wrote:This is my kind of tobacco, the black Irish twist is good but I like the brown the best , strength , flavor, it there. I sliced it real thin so that it almost makes a shag type cut because it is pretty moist almost oily like , but with the thin slice it works great.

Hey Clint, what pipe did you smoke it in. I always seem to struggle in keeping the stuff lit, maybe the pipe is a secret.
Cheers Rolf.
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby cakeanddottle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 am

ScotsJim wrote:
cakeanddottle wrote:Sliced Black Twist is the leading cause of stroke in pipe smokers.

Anything can cause strokes. Classic Burley Kake can cause strokes. I nearly had a fuckin' stroke through frustration trying to find any nicotine whatsoever, not to mention the stress I then went through trying to get that overly hot sickening taste out of my mouth :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Jim

yeah I was just a little shocked the first smoke. I now smoke this and Brown Bogie without thinking about it, but in a small bowl.
~Mike
cakeanddottle

Postby brim325 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Taspiper wrote:
brim325 wrote:This is my kind of tobacco, the black Irish twist is good but I like the brown the best , strength , flavor, it there. I sliced it real thin so that it almost makes a shag type cut because it is pretty moist almost oily like , but with the thin slice it works great.

Hey Clint, what pipe did you smoke it in. I always seem to struggle in keeping the stuff lit, maybe the pipe is a secret.
Cheers Rolf.

Hi bud, Try letting it dry a bit before you pack your bowl, I smoke it in a small to medium size bowled pipe, Ehrlich Bulldog , & several grabows, I also slice the coins very thin so I end up with not quiet a shag cut, but close & I let it air a few minutes 15 to 20 minutes at most, that should do the trick. If you don't have a small bowled pipe pick you up a Dr. Grabow on ebay cheap , there great smokers .

brim325

Postby ScotsJim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:09 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:
ScotsJim wrote:

Regards,
Jim

yeah I was just a little shocked the first smoke. I now smoke this and Brown Bogie without thinking about it, but in a small bowl.

Makes sense matey. Besides, unlike mixtures / ribbon cut they burn very slowly indeed so a small bowl is all that's required. I usually smoke strong twist tobacco in either my MM Cob pony, my unnamed straight / narrow billiard briar I bought cheap, or my straight Peterson shannon.

Regards,
Jim
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby Taspiper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 pm

brim325 wrote:
Taspiper wrote:

Cheers Rolf.

Hi bud, Try letting it dry a bit before you pack your bowl, I smoke it in a small to medium size bowled pipe, Ehrlich Bulldog , & several grabows, I also slice the coins very thin so I end up with not quiet a shag cut, but close & I let it air a few minutes 15 to 20 minutes at most, that should do the trick. If you don't have a small bowled pipe pick you up a Dr. Grabow on ebay cheap , there great smokers .

Cool, I have a pre republic Canadian Pete coming in the mail, I might dedicate it to dog turd smoking.
Cheers.
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby Slickheadhunter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 am

I gave my Father an ounce of the brown bogie along with a card for Fathers day,you should have seen his face when he lit up! He loved it!
He has been smoking a pipe for over 40 years and has never smoked a flake or a rope tobacco,Im giving him a tin of Irish Flake as well,im sure he will like it.
Slickheadhunter

Return to Pipe Tobacco Reviews