Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

GLP Union Square-first impressions

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

GLP Union Square-first impressions

Postby Dodger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:16 pm

I opened the tin with some trepidation, because as previously posted I am not a fan of Vas ,and was greeted with the hallmark scent of hay ,and the sight of golden broken flake.It packed well and burnt evenly and tasted of hay .

I believe I am going to like this blend ,but it may take another tin to be sure ,as I have only smoked 4 bowls so far .At least it is dispelling my aversion to Vas.

Perhaps my fellow Brits can confirm this but the OTC available here seem to be cased ,and I think that this is what may have put me off Vas.

Dodger
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: GLP Union Square-first impressions

Postby Muddler » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I think it's a great Va. Try it a little drier than straight from the tin. Seems (to me) to be even better.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:35 pm

I am really getting to like this and will probably buy some more in the future .This blend made me revisit Dunhill Flake ,a couple of bowls reminded me why I have dismissed Vas .Compared with Union Square it was almost tasteless with only a slight echo of GLP's quality .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:24 pm

sounds like this one is similar to SG Medium Virginia Flake. You should compare the two. I've finally come around to thinking that SG Va's really can't be beat. I've got two pounds of Opening Night, which should be somewhat similar to Union Square, but it's very green and I'll have to let it rest in the tins for a few years before I write it off. It didn't knock my socks off fresh.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby eric » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Dodger wrote:
Perhaps my fellow Brits can confirm this but the OTC available here seem to be cased ,and I think that this is what may have put me off Vas.

I'd say just about every VA out there is sweetened or "cased" in one way or another, its just not with marshmallow and vanilla flavors (usually) so they don't get blamed for it.

Anyway, I have a strong preference for C&D Virginias over any other manufacturer because they have a cleaner taste. You have likely enjoyed Viginias all this time, just not the way they're usually treated.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby glpease » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:36 am

Dodger wrote:I opened the tin with some trepidation, because as previously posted I am not a fan of Vas ,and was greeted with the hallmark scent of hay ,and the sight of golden broken flake.It packed well and burnt evenly and tasted of hay .

I believe I am going to like this blend ,but it may take another tin to be sure ,as I have only smoked 4 bowls so far .At least it is dispelling my aversion to Vas.

Dodger

Glad to know you're enjoying. Your post made my day. Like you, I was not much of a VA fan for years, with a couple of notable exceptions. Union Square was one I created specifically so I could enjoy it, and I figured others might, too. There are no added sugars in the blend, no casing, no flavourings. It's as pure as a VA can be, and to my knowledge, is rather unique in this regard. Most manufacturers add something, whether sugar or toppings, to their "straight" VAs. With a few years behind it, it becomes richer and more intellectually engaging, though I find I actually prefer the youthful vigor of fairly fresh tins. (Interestingly, I'm more and more leaning towards enjoying tobaccos in their youth. There's something about the enthusiasm they exhibit that appeals to me.)

I think you'd like Embarcadero and Fillmore, too.

Cheers,
Greg
glpease

Postby Smoker99 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 am

This is a mild Va, but a good one. Definitely more flavor and body than SG MVF. I also tend to enjoy most Va's fresh vs aged. I just like the edgeiness.
Smoker99

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:27 am

I do like FVF on occasion but I never thought much Union Square. I'll have to pull some from the cellar and give it another try. :)
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby CodgerBriar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:53 am

With apologies to Edgar Allan Poe

Master Pease's masterpiece :
Union Square !
When tobacco's mentioned, let its praises fill the air !
How the finest Red Virginias
From the Old Belt of their home
And their golden, flue-cured cousins
Meet and mingle by the dozens
In an olifact'ry poem.
Never Sweet-Sweet-Sweet,
Though Virginias, and a treat
With complexities innum'rable as stars in heaven's dome :
Pleasure rare, rare, rare, rare,
Rare, rare, rare !
And as sumptuous as subtle --
Union Square!