Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

GLP Embarcadero

Discuss specific pipe tobaccos in detail and post your reviews here.

GLP Embarcadero

Postby Jay » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 am

Here I am, looking at an empty tin. It's a sad thing, really, knowing that I'll have to wait four whole DAYS for another shipment (several tins). I'm absolutely in love with this stuff, it may be my #1 at the moment.

This is deep stuff. The cut is the same as most other GLP VAs I've tried, broken flake. Very soft to the touch, dark in color with a few light streaks of Izmir. Oh, Izmir. Why do you tempt me? The tin aroma is soooooo good. I have to resist the temptation to shove a pinch in my mouth and chew every time I pop open the tin. I'm not good at describing odors, I can only relate how it makes me feel. I feel hungry.

I've tried Embarcadero rubbed out, dried out, balled up...but I think the best way to smoke this blend is straight from the tin, with a VERY light pack...I usually will stack a few flakes vertically, trim the excess and use that as a kindling layer on top, pressing ever so slightly to settle it in the bowl. Then, puff slow. I mean SLOW. My experience has shown that this blend can burn real hot if you don't take care.
The VA's in this blend, which I think are the same as in Fillmore, are absolutely spectacular. They are the main attraction, of course, and for good reason. There's a definite sweetness, but the deep "woodier" flavors dominate. The Izmir provides a little fun, occasionally making itself known in a spicy/slightly sour pop of flavor, but mostly staying comfortably in the background complimenting the rich Red VAs. It seems that every bowlful takes a different flavor trail (a concept I made up just now), developing new flavors with each smoke. It keeps me coming back, that's for sure!

I've tried to compare Embarcadero to other blends, but I find this stuff is unique in its character. There's a general feeling to it, an attitude if you will; something I can't put a finger on (I'm thinking it's that damn Izmir taunting me) that makes this blend one of my favorites. Overall, I can't recommend it enough.
Throw the stick, Let the bulldog roll.
Jay
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: GLP Embarcadero

Postby Muddler » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Great review Jay. Embarcadero is a favourite. Good observation re the Va's being the same as in Fillmore - I think you may be right. BTW, you may enjoy C&D Sunday Picnic as well.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby eric » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks for the review - a very nice one. Embarcadero reeks with quality of leaf and blending finesse, that there is no doubt about - but for some reason it doesn't ring my bell. This is one that may just take repeated trips back to the tin before I "get it." All that said, I highly recommend it being the majority of people who comment on it love it.

Just goes to show, no matter how well done a blend is, it won't appeal to everyone.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Postby TORTUGA » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:35 am

I like embarc as well. izmir is seductively sour and the super sweet pease va's are nice. I find that this is a perfect summer blend. refreshing like lemonade. i don't like it in the winter though for the same reason i don't like lemonade in winter. But yes, supreme blending and an unsung champ of the peaseweed.
TORTUGA

Postby Txspurgeon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Just put what Eric said in my column. I agree, I am in the same boat.
Txspurgeon

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Jay wrote:I've tried to compare Embarcadero to other blends, but I find this stuff is unique in its character.

Jay covered all the bases re: appearance and physical characteristics in the opening post.

If you like Virginas that really pop rather than land on your tongue with a mighty thud (like stoved VAs do)
and
you really like the piquancy of an Oriental

then this tobacco is a must-try for you. I don't go in for reviews that make florid claims about a tobacco solely for the purpose of acting as a springboard for the reviewer's turns of phrase, but
IMHO Pease has invented a new hybrid flavor with this blend that combines all the best attributes of a smooth sweet VA and a tangy Oriental.

If this sounds interesting to you, get some ASAP.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Smoker99 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:59 am

Very nice review. Embarcadero and Rattray's Brown Clunee are frequently my morning smokes.
Smoker99

Postby Nightcap » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm

I agree about C&D Sunday Picnic as another to try. Also, C&D Opening Night and Red Carpet use these same Red Va.'s to good effect.
Nightcap

Postby HowlinWolf » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 pm

I guess my CRS is acting up again. I opened a tin of this today and thought it was new-to-me. :oops: :?

HowlinWolf wrote:
Jay wrote:I've tried to compare Embarcadero to other blends, but I find this stuff is unique in its character.

Jay covered all the bases re: appearance and physical characteristics in the opening post.

If you like Virginas that really pop rather than land on your tongue with a mighty thud (like stoved VAs do)
and
you really like the piquancy of an Oriental

then this tobacco is a must-try for you. I don't go in for reviews that make florid claims about a tobacco solely for the purpose of acting as a springboard for the reviewer's turns of phrase, but
IMHO Pease has invented a new hybrid flavor with this blend that combines all the best attributes of a smooth sweet VA and a tangy Oriental.

If this sounds interesting to you, get some ASAP.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby CodgerBriar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:47 am

Is there a nobler weed on earth
Than Pease Embarcadero ?
Fairy stuff from Rivendell
Perhaps, that, like "Bolero"
Mesmerises with a spell
Both subtle and entrancing
Wiping worldly woes away