Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Question about estate pipes.

Question about estate pipes.

Postby Iolaire » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 am

Hi I'm new to all of this, and therefore run the risk of asking silly questions. Can anyone explain the difference :?: between tooth chatter and teeth marks when estate pipes are advertised? Is it the same thing but by a different name, or do they describe different things? Thanks in advance.
Iolaire
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 am

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby KevLa » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 am

Nothing silly about it! :)
Essentially the same thing, though I think that "chatter" implies that the marks are only very shallow, whereas "marks" could be deeper and therefore less superficial in nature.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
User avatar
KevLa
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 am
Location: Twelve o' clock high.

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby Geo3rge » Fri May 12, 2017 11:40 am

Yes, I'd agree with Kev's definition. I'm afraid most of my pipes have the chatter and one or two definitely the marks...
Can't get along with the rubber mouth bits that you can buy to help protect the mouthpiece, but some smokers swear by them.
I don't mind the odd mark on estate pipes. I've just been aware of those that have been sanded and buffed (to remove any markings) too much, making the bit too thin. I've bitten through two of these and it wasn't my strong teeth doing it!

Good luck with the search!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby KevLa » Fri May 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, that is but one of the countless examples of people prizing appearance over truth: it doesn't look brand new, so I'll impart some meaningful damage in an effort to make it seem unscathed. Look for it, and one finds this foolishness everywhere! :(
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
User avatar
KevLa
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 am
Location: Twelve o' clock high.

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby Dodger » Fri May 12, 2017 8:20 pm

KevLa wrote:Nothing silly about it! :)
Essentially the same thing, though I think that "chatter" implies that the marks are only very shallow, whereas "marks" could be deeper and therefore less superficial in nature.

Agree .
Don't let it put you off ,some of my better pipes were chattered .After all i prefer smoking values to looks ,and it's a bonus to get both .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 6829
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby KevLa » Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Dodger wrote:Don't let it put you off ,some of my better pipes were chattered .After all i prefer smoking values to looks ,and it's a bonus to get both .

I'll second that. Nothing detracts from the simple enjoyment of smoking a pipe quite like obsessing about minutiae :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
User avatar
KevLa
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 am
Location: Twelve o' clock high.

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby Geo3rge » Sat May 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Life's too short and busy for some things...however, there are smokers who prize perfection and why not? I admire folk who show a very conscientious approach to their pipes' welfare. I love to see well-cared for briars and respect their owners for doing so. It's a joy to see pieces in pristine condition that deliver the smoke as well as aesthetic satisfaction.
For myself, I really don't mind minor imperfections, provided the pipe is internally clean, draws well and delivers a good smoking experience. Besides, I am so busy at the moment (mentally as well as physically) that I'm lately tending to just grab a pipe and smoke whenever I can.
I have a Peterson reject with a few fills in the briar surface and the stem can be a touch loose fitting, but it smokes a dream. A few other pipes have dings and chatter, but they are well-used and loved.
Estates are really good investments on the whole. I have bought quite a few now and, with one or two exceptions, they have provided the core of my pipe pleasures. A good dealer, who restores sensitively and charges realistically, is worth getting hold of.
I also do not mind paying for a good new pipe, provided it is one that I really want, of course. To that extent, I tend to see a pipe and let it sit in my mind for a while as I cogitate over its potential place in my collection.
Whatever your pipe, new or old, enjoy it today.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3140
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby KevLa » Sat May 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I think the wise know the importance of balance. For example, looking after one's possessions without become anally retentive about it. This is before vanity even rears its ugly head. I take pride in my stuff, but there are more important things.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
User avatar
KevLa
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 am
Location: Twelve o' clock high.

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby Iolaire » Sat May 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Estates are really good investments on the whole. I have bought quite a few now and, with one or two exceptions, they have provided the core of my pipe pleasures. A good dealer, who restores sensitively and charges realistically, is worth getting hold of.


Many thanks for folks help and explanations about chatter and tooth marks. I found it all very helpful. I've also enjoyed reading the discussion on estates. I,like many, am on a budget and bought my first pipe new, but as pipes go it certainly isn't a premium brand - having said all that, I find it smokes quite nicely. I considered estates but was always put off although plucked up the courage and took the plunge and bought a 35 year old GBD bent billiard. Although happy with my new pipe, I do appreciate the difference in quality between the two. I was lucky and found a great restorer and dealer on ebay. The GBD he sold me is really nice and he also could furnish me with a little of the history of the pipe. He bought a collection of over 600 pipes from a French woman in Paris, whose uncle a lawyer had collected them over his long lifetime. His stuff is high quality IMO, and a reasonable price. Less than £10 for my new acquisition! Very interesting to hear the story behind them. Couldn't agree more with Steve's comments on estate dealers.

Thanks everyone.
Iolaire
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 am

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby Dodger » Sun May 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Iolaire wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:Many thanks for folks help and explanations about chatter and tooth marks. I found it all very helpful. I've also enjoyed reading the discussion on estates. I,like many, am on a budget and bought my first pipe new, but as pipes go it certainly isn't a premium brand - having said all that, I find it smokes quite nicely. I considered estates but was always put off although plucked up the courage and took the plunge and bought a 35 year old GBD bent billiard. Although happy with my new pipe, I do appreciate the difference in quality between the two. I was lucky and found a great restorer and dealer on ebay. The GBD he sold me is really nice and he also could furnish me with a little of the history of the pipe. He bought a collection of over 600 pipes from a French woman in Paris, whose uncle a lawyer had collected them over his long lifetime. His stuff is high quality IMO, and a reasonable price. Less than £10 for my new acquisition! Very interesting to hear the story behind them. Couldn't agree more with Steve's comments on estate dealers.

Thanks everyone.

I have stopped buying on Ebay ,but if you are on a budget have a look at Irish Lefty ,there is a link at the top part of home page .
He rarely has top end pipes ,but the old warhorses are there and used to be available from $9.99 up ,excluding the ones up for auction .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 6829
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby FlakedOut » Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Dodger wrote:...available from $9.99 up ,excluding the ones up for auction.


Just be careful - you are only allowed the ridiculous import sum of £15 - anything over and you'll get clobbered for around £18 on top :shock:
It also seems that EVERY package is checked-over from the US...
User avatar
FlakedOut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Question about estate pipes.

Postby KevLa » Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 am

FlakedOut wrote:Just be careful - you are only allowed the ridiculous import sum of £15 - anything over and you'll get clobbered for around £18 on top :shock:
It also seems that EVERY package is checked-over from the US...

Indeed. If the value of the package (from outside the E.U.) is declared as being equivalent to more than £15, one has to pay V.A.T. on that value, as well as an £8 Royal Mail handling fee (last time I checked). But not all packages from the U.S. are checked. It depends upon what they're declared to contain, I think ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
User avatar
KevLa
 
Posts: 8682
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:45 am
Location: Twelve o' clock high.


Return to General Pipe Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest