Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Should I return my newly purchased Peterson spigot?

Should I return my newly purchased Peterson spigot?

Postby gentlytamped » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 pm

So I just purchased a new Peterson Champagne Silver Spigot, shape 999.
I noticed that the mouthpiece "is a bit off". It's like it's leaning to one side.
Not sure if this is a poor quality model that I got from the online seller or this is actually a common thing.

Do you guys have any spigots and if so, did you encounter anything similar?
Maybe I jsut worry too much...

Here's a picture: https://i.imgur.com/T9WlBQ8.png
Here's my video on the topic: https://youtu.be/A2umuxYpI30
gentlytamped

Re: Should I return my newly purchased Peterson spigot?

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 am

Not sure if I can be of much help here. I’ve had a look at the photos. The angle is off but only just. When I look at a few of my system Petersons, the stems on a couple of them are also ‘off’ but I’ve simply smoked and ignored the problem. It could be a matter to do with stem material and how it has been formed in the workshop.
If you feel that this is an issue with yourself, contact Petersons and include the photos. Is the quality of workmanship generally good as regards finish of surface etc.?
My inclination is to smoke and enjoy it but if it niggles you by all means flag it up with the makers.
Hope you can find a happy solution here.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby NoBail » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm

The top pipe in the comparison photo seems a bit off also. It could be the angle of the photo.

After you have removed and seated the mouth piece several times is it still off?

If it is bugging you I would return it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
NoBail

Postby ratatosk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 am

By coincidence, I was smoking my 01 spigot http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10925 when I read this thread.

Looking closely at mine, I see that if the mouthpiece is even slightly off of parallel with the bowl, the stem will look a little askew from the top, the effect is probably greater with your pipe since it a stem with color gradients.

Short version is that I would not let it be an issue if everything else is good. Unless you set up some kind of jig to align the stem perfectly when you remove/replace, it's always going to be a little off. But I think that is probably true of almost any bent pipe anyway, just not something you generally notice.

So I would keep the pipe and enjoy it, you could probably send it back 100 times and still wind up in the same place. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby daveinlax » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:00 am

Send it back if you're not happy. It will always bug you until you end up selling it at a big discount. :ugeek:
daveinlax

Return to General Pipe Discussion