Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Have I poisoned my pipe with Christmas cheer?

Have I poisoned my pipe with Christmas cheer?

Postby Splodger » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:57 am

This is another post that I have to preface with the fact that I am a novice.

In my recent rush to try out new tobaccos, and in an effort to prepare for Christmas, I purchased a tin of Dan Tobacco's Devil's Holiday. Now I'm sure that this blend would suit some people, but on opening the tin I was assaulted by the smell of my long dead grandma's awful Christmas cake. In the spirit of being a cheep bugger I decided to fill my pipe and give it a go. Initially I found it revolting, but decided to persevere in the hope that the overpowering Christmassyness might mellow out. It did not.

Now, if all I wanted to do was vent I would have bored my wife with it, but on picking up that pipe two days later it was still there, like the ghost of Christmas past. The Devil's Holiday is happening in my Brigham! Lucifer and his dark angels are partying down in my briar. I've tried to exorcise it with several bowls of Dunhill London Mixture, bit they are still in residence although not as active as they were.

All silliness aside, I don't think I have irreversibly poisoned my pipe with just one bowl of eggnog, but is it possible to permanently taint/flavor a pipe with a particular style of tobacco?

One more thing, I'm sure Dan Tobacco make very good tobacco blends, and this may well be one of them, but Devil's Holiday is not to my taste.
Splodger

Re: Have I poisoned my pipe with Christmas cheer?

Postby ratatosk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:20 am

I haven't found anything that 3 bowls of Prince Albert will not clean up. I have no idea of why it works, but it does in my experience.

Good luck.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Splodger » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:28 am

ratatosk wrote:I haven't found anything that 3 bowls of Prince Albert will not clean up. I have no idea of why it works, but it does in my experience.

Succinct and reassuring.
Thanks.
Splodger

Postby Smokedrift » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:44 am

Splodger wrote:
ratatosk wrote:I haven't found anything that 3 bowls of Prince Albert will not clean up. I have no idea of why it works, but it does in my experience.

Succinct and reassuring.
Thanks.

My take on this is that Devil's Holiday is anything but "succinct and reassuring."
Smokedrift
Smokedrift

Postby hooboy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 pm

If ghosted a bowl of latakia is all it needs, my opinion anyway!
hoo
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Postby acaciavet » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Price Albert like Richard said does it every time. I have pipes set aside for Aero tobaccos and condor
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby 4nogginsmike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:37 pm

You might keep smoking it and let the smoke tell you the heaviness of the ghost. I don't have much experience in this but most ghosts yield. If this one doesn't, ozone.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby CodgerBriar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 am

Lakeland floral shampoo (all too familiar to fans of vintage Britwood) can be ineradicable short of (as 4nogginsmike pointed out) ozone treatment. ( http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/ozone.html ).

Perique will gradually fade away but it can take a good year until the last of it's gone. (If you like VaPers, this is obviously not a problem) :lol:

Of possible interest:
http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html

(PS: Ozone is quicker, easier, safer and works 100% every time, in my experience).

FWIW
CodgerBriar

Postby BlackhawkFan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Wipe the bowl with a little white rum and set aside to dry. Haven't tried the other ways mentioned here.
BlackhawkFan

Return to General Pipe Discussion