Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pear wood versus briar?

Pear wood versus briar?

Postby cdgrph » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:12 pm

My wife bought me a pear wood pipe for Christmas off of Amazon. At first, I didn't think it was a smokable pipe as it had a plastic feel to me. It's a beautiful pipe nonetheless. It is smokable tho, upon further investigation. I know briar is the standard, but anybody have any experience with pear wood? How does it smoke different from briar? is it a good smoker? I want to give it a try if it's a decent pipe to smoke, but want to have a decent pipe to smoke at the same time. She said she'd return it if I didn't like it, but hate to do so (and hurt her feelings) if it will turn out to be a decent pipe. But I don't want to keep it if it's not going to give me a decent smoke. I'm just not familiar with pear wood pipes, so any input would be appreciated!
cdgrph

Re: Pear wood versus briar?

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Cd, I can't help here as I have never had a pear wood pipe. I have an olive wood pipe, though, and that smokes fine. Hopefully, someone on the forum can help with this and solve your dilemma.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Should be fine if broken in properly after all Mr Brog would be out of business if they are bad smokes .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby cdgrph » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:42 pm

I just wasn't familiar with it. Do you break them in like a briar and treat them like a briar?
cdgrph

Postby TigerJack » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi bud , I have a pear wood pipe that I made smokes great, by the way most any fruit tree wood makes great pipes ,such as Cheery ,Plum , Apple , Mulberry & so on. Enjoy the pipe Sir it will smoke fine. G'Day Gents.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby markg » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:28 pm

I've got Mr Brog Amigo http://ebay.eu/1Oe1BYm and it's a great pipe. The only real difference I've noticed vs. briar is that it despite being a chunky pipe it gets hotter, which is something that I've seen others mention. Other than that it smokes fine, looks good, takes a 9mm filter if you want to use one and is very inexpensive. At £15 odd I won't be heartbroken if I lose it. As far as I'm aware you just break it in and use it like a briar.
markg

Return to General Pipe Discussion