Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

GL Pease's Pipe Collection

GL Pease's Pipe Collection

Postby ratatosk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Somehow, I missed ever seeing this until I came across it by accident, but GL Pease has some really nice pictures and comments about his pipes that you might find interesting. http://www.glpease.com/Pipes/Collection/index.html I knew he collected old GBDs, but was unaware of all of the other stuff he chases.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: GL Pease's Pipe Collection

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks, Richard. This is an excellent site. Just had a look and it's packed with beautiful photos and very informative text. This is really appreciated indeed. If folk haven't seen it yet, it's well worth a visit.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby daveinlax » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:54 am

Greg's a buddy and we both collect and love Castello. It's always fun to geek out with him at the KC show. :ugeek:
daveinlax

Postby acaciavet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Those are some fine looking Castellos.
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby hooboy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks ratatosk ( I think lol ), for this site , nice selection of pipes.
BUT, looking at them then looking at my own collection.. well that gives the old envey a good wake up!
Somehow all mine looks like they have been smoked, why is that?
Now to show the wife and try to convince her it is a time for an upgrade!
hoo( a tad green)
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:05 pm

Not to worry about pipes looking like they have been smoked, H. That's just how mine look. I quite like them like that. For me, they don't become too precious or fragile. I am not a collector and I can't afford high-end prices. Most of my collection now is estate pioes, so they will have been smoked, dropped, banged, scraped, clenched or they will have endured any one of a hundred other mishaps or incidents in their lifetime. I'm happy with that.
I give them a clean every now and then, but don't polish them till they gleam.
Just a quick buff, some isopropyl and lots of pipe cleaners.
If I were able to buy high-end pipes, you can be sure that I'd be polishing them to within an inch of their lives and then lovingly putting them to bed at night.
But, for now, I treat my pipes as working pipes and, as such, if they get a little bit of wear and tear, so be it. I don't consciously misuse or ill-treat them and I do, in fact, look after them. I'm conscious that one day they won't be mine so I hope that whoever gets them next will have a decent set for smoking. But what I do have isn't collectors' standard, just my daily smoking machines.
I do hope I haven't offended anyone here! And if you have a wonderful pipe collection, that's marvellous. Look after it, keep it safe and pass it on tenderly and affectionately to the next generation of owners.
Happy smoking, in whatever pipe you own.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby hooboy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:30 pm

That Geo3rge describes the same exact thoughts on my pipes!
hopefully no one would consider your thoughts to be anyway offensive .
I too enjoy seeing a collection of high end pipes and turn a tad green with envy But I know If they were mine they would not look that way very long!
I do not abuse my pipes per say, I just enjoy them the way I believe they were meant to be used and clean them once in a while . I would rather be puffing on my pipes instead of polishing them!
Now I have probably offended some also. Is it too late to apologize? If not I apologize, BUT will probably do it again. lol

hoo ( practicing his political correctness somewhat)
hooboy

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:09 pm

I don't think apologies are needed, H! You just carry on enjoying those pipes of yours. For the mass of us pipe mortals, pipes were simply made for smoking! Hope you get enormous pleasure from them.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby hooboy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks Geo3rge a little of this was tonque in cheek.

I would certainly hope No one on this site would be so easily offended BUT you never know.
Altho the political correctness seems to run Rampant in our society.

Anyway to reinforce your thoughts I will smoke em, enjoy em, , look on them fondly AND clean them occasionally!
hoo
hooboy

Return to General Pipe Discussion