Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Which Bent is Best?

At what angle do you prefer your pipe's shank to meet her bowl?

Full-bent
6%
Three-quarters-bent
6%
Two-thirds-bent
No votes
Half-bent
18%
Third-bent
6%
Quarter-bent
53%
Straight
12%

Total votes : 17

Re: Which Bent is Best?

Postby PipeStoke » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:27 pm

You're all bent. It seems I'm the only straight in here. I knew I liked this place for a reason.

I chose the straight, although it's difficult. For sheer elegance, I think the quarter bent is probably number one, simply because that level lends itself to some stunningly beautiful lines on a pipe. I often find those are the ones I spend most time looking at on Ebay and elsewhere.

What I smoke most however, is a straight. There's something classic and wonderful about a straight billiard. I don't really know why that's how I choose, because when I started as a pipe smoker I couldn't understand why anyone would choose a straight when there are so many great curves out there. The straight billiard grew on me though and I would say 75% of smokes are in these. 20% more are in my Peterson's 314s of which I have two. I'd class these as half bent and are wonderful smokers. The remaining 5% go to quarter bent pipes. I love looking at these and the ones I have are good smokers but for some reason, the straights get the most attention.

Maybe I'm suppressing something.
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Haha! I was wondering when we'd get a vote for straight. I very often reach for one of my numerous straights, myself. I'm smoking one right now! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby TigerJack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Well as far as bends go, actually you don't bend a shank, it is carved , you bend a stem! G'Day Gents.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby PipeStoke » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:01 am

Does that make it a half and three quarter cut pipe?

Maybe we should refer to them as 'sort of bent to some extent" or 'broken in hialf without splitting'.

'sgot a bowl with hot stuff innit and aint straight by a long (bent) shot
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:13 am

PipeStoke wrote:Does that make it a half and three quarter cut pipe?

Maybe we should refer to them as 'sort of bent to some extent" or 'broken in hialf without splitting'.

'sgot a bowl with hot stuff innit and aint straight by a long (bent) shot

Hahaha! Excellent! :lol:
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 pm

I have a Savinelli that is straight and has a short stem, like a Canadian. That little stem has a 1/8 down-bloop to it.

Is it a straight pipe, or bent? :twisted:
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:33 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:I have a Savinelli that is straight... Is it a straight pipe, or bent? :twisted:

Straight :twisted:
But in the end, it doesn't really matter what one calls a pipe :)
KevLa

Postby KevinP » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:09 am

Just so long as its bent, I don't mind much what the angle is. But after all these years, I just can't appreciate straights, neither aesthetically nor in their weight distribution.
KevinP

Postby TigerJack » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:16 am

Hi Kevin , I'm with you Sir I just don't do straight pipes , all the straight pipes I have came down with a case of the bends LOL . G'Day Sir.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby HowlinWolf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:20 am

Unless you hold a straight pipe dead level all the time, even a straight pipe might as well be bent. I'm just saying.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby PipeStoke » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:41 am

Unless you hold a straight pipe dead level all the time, even a straight pipe might as well be bent. I'm just saying.

Howlin', I'm deeply concerned by that statement.

I'm concerned not because of how clearly utterly, completely and patently wrong it is, but rather because however damned wrong you are about that, I can't help but feel that you are entirely right.

Sir, you have caused upset to my evening.

I'm going to have a bowl of 965 in whatever the hell the pipe I'm holding in my hand is.

I'll also have some Darjeeling tea in my 3/4 bent tea cup.
PipeStoke

Postby HowlinWolf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 pm

PipeStoke wrote:

Howlin', I'm deeply concerned by that statement.

I'm concerned not because of how clearly utterly, completely and patently wrong it is, but rather because however damned wrong you are about that, I can't help but feel that you are entirely right.

Sir, you have caused upset to my evening.

I'm going to have a bowl of 965 in whatever the hell the pipe I'm holding in my hand is.

I'll also have some Darjeeling tea in my 3/4 bent tea cup.

:lol: it's an insight I came up with one time when the topic was whether bent pipes smoke dryer because the condensed moisture runs down the stem toward the bowl.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:12 am

I can see where you're coming from, Mr. Wolf, but I have to point out that a bent pipe allows one to keep one's head straight, or even to tilt it back slightly, without risking a mouthful of yuck :) That said, I'm a very 'wet' smoker and yet rarely have to worry about this problem; the worst symptom I suffer is that my 'system' pipes fill up quickly sometimes start gurgling like happy babies :?
KevLa

Postby TigerJack » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:20 am

Back to the original question> The one you like most ! G'Day Gents.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 am

Anyway, I've been reaching for straight pipes a lot, recently. I seem to go through phases of preference for one type of pipe or another, and shank angle is no exception. Perhaps I've no clear favourite after all! :)
KevLa

Postby aquaholic » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I prefer straights although I have a number of bents up to about 1/2 that I enjoy as well
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to General Pipe Discussion