Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Which Bent is Best?

At what angle do you prefer your pipe's shank to meet her bowl?

Full-bent
6%
Three-quarters-bent
6%
Two-thirds-bent
No votes
Half-bent
18%
Third-bent
6%
Quarter-bent
53%
Straight
12%

Total votes : 17

Which Bent is Best?

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Hello, Tamp & Puff Friends!

For the sake of argument, let us suppose...

Full-bent: approximately 90°
Three-quarters-bent: approximately 67.5°
Two-thirds-bent: approximately 60°
Half-bent: approximately 45°
Third-bent: approximately 30°
Quarter-bent: approximately 22.5°
Straight: approximately 0°

I've a soft spot for the quarter-bent pipe, myself :)
Last edited by KevLa on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Re: Which Bent is Best?

Postby Dodger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:36 pm

I voted 1/4 bent which I believe is the bent Rhodesian angle and Peterson 999's are my current favourite shape .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Sorry, Dodger, I've just made a slight adjustment to the poll and it reset. Would you care to cast your vote again, please? :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 pm

I went with 1/4 bent mainly because I did not see 1/8 as a choice. I prefer either a slight curve or straight because I clutch rather than clinch and don't like fighting to get a pipe cleaner to the bowl while smoking. Too many bent pipes have mysterious little quirks that require some twisting and turning to overcome in order to reach the bowl.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby William » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:41 am

I didn't vote because I don't have a preference. However, while I would choose full bent last, I rank all the others as equal. It really depends on the looks of the pipe.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:56 pm

I voted for half bent, but each pipe would vary and so it's a general thing here. I'm quite partial to several of my straights, though and a classic straight billiard has a lot going for it. That said, when I'm browsing pipes I tend to look a little more at the bents and a certain angle of stem and also the mouthpiece/ bit. Too much of an incline I tend to avoid.Oom Pauls I cannot quite get to grips with yet, even in my imagination.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Hermit » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Geo3rge wrote:I voted for half bent, but each pipe would vary and so it's a general thing here. I'm quite partial to several of my straights, though and a classic straight billiard has a lot going for it. That said, when I'm browsing pipes I tend to look a little more at the bents and a certain angle of stem and also the mouthpiece/ bit. Too much of an incline I tend to avoid.Oom Pauls I cannot quite get to grips with yet, even in my imagination.
Steve

If you voted for half bent, then there's been election fraud. :lol:
All the votes went to quarter bent.
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:47 pm

I thought there were lots of people around who like Oom Pauls, Hungarians, etc.

:twisted: (God knows why) :twisted:
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Hermit wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:I voted for half bent, but each pipe would vary and so it's a general thing here. I'm quite partial to several of my straights, though and a classic straight billiard has a lot going for it. That said, when I'm browsing pipes I tend to look a little more at the bents and a certain angle of stem and also the mouthpiece/ bit. Too much of an incline I tend to avoid.Oom Pauls I cannot quite get to grips with yet, even in my imagination.
Steve

If you voted for half bent, then there's been election fraud. :lol:
All the votes went to quarter bent.

Oops. My mistake. Thought I'd pressed the button and hadn't! Thanks for pointing it out.
No fraud here! Just middle-aged forgetfulness.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby TigerJack » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:00 am

Hi Guys, With myself It really depends on the pipe style but for the most part I prefer about half bent , some pipes even more and some a bit less but at least 1/3 bent. G'Day Gents.
Here is one I like. By the way William she smokes wonderful. She is pretty much a full bent.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Dodger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:54 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:I thought there were lots of people around who like Oom Pauls, Hungarians, etc.

There are HW .
Most of my regular smokes are 1/4 to 1/2 bent ,so that's where My vote went .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:53 pm

brim325 wrote:She is pretty much a full bent.

Now I would have called that a 3/4 bent, with the idea that a full bent is / or is almost "folded in half" like an Oom Paul, a Cavalier, one of those Bavarian Forest ceramic bowl thingies, etc.
Not to start a whole nit picky semantics thing; I'm just saying.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:51 pm

I'd call her a half-bent. The shank meets the bowl at an angle of around forty-five degrees, halfway between a straight and a full-bent. But everything is opinion, and mine is no more valid than anyone else's, of course :)
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:20 pm

KevLa wrote:I'd call her a half-bent. The shank meets the bowl at an angle of around forty-five degrees, halfway between a straight and a full-bent. But everything is opinion, and mine is no more valid than anyone else's, of course :)

Surprise! I agree with you . :D
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby TigerJack » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:
brim325 wrote:She is pretty much a full bent.

Now I would have called that a 3/4 bent, with the idea that a full bent is / or is almost "folded in half" like an Oom Paul, a Cavalier, one of those Bavarian Forest ceramic bowl thingies, etc.

Here is a picture of a full bent pipe to compare to mine the bent part is level with the bowl just as my custombilt pipe.
Image.

Hi Wolf Sir, What I consider full bent is when the angle of the bent part of the stem is level with the top of bowl & if you look at my pipe you will see the bent part of the stem is level with the top of the bowl , now that was always my ideal of a full bent , I always considered what you & Kevla are speaking of actually over full bent. That don't mean I am right LOL It is just what I thought was the correct bend classification. G'Day Gents.
Clint
TigerJack

Postby ratatosk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:13 am

I see the problem here, Clint is describing based on the bend of the stem, while the Englishmen and Mr. Wolf are looking at the angle of the shank vs. the bowl. I suppose there is something to be said for each approach.

A bent shank will almost always be joined with a stem that is bent in the opposite direction although the degrees of relative "bentness" can vary a lot. I guess that I have always thought mostly about the bowl/shank relationship, but don't really know which is the traditional view. All I know for sure is that this is a full bend :D

Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby TigerJack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:59 am

Hi Richard, I was speaking of the bend in the stem & not the bend of the shank Sir. If you will notice the pipe you show the stem is bent the same level with the bowl , of course your shank has a drastic bend in which I was not speaking of. So it depends on weather a man is speaking of the bend of the stem or the shank. G'Day
Clint
TigerJack

Postby ratatosk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:32 am

Exactly, Clint. :D

What's kind of interesting is that while the Dunhill Hungarian pictured will not take a cleaner in the bowl without being pulled apart, this Castello Oom Paul will despite all of the curving around:

I have no idea of how they drilled it to do so, must be magic! :lol:
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby TigerJack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:50 am

Clint
TigerJack

Postby KevLa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

For me, the 'true' Oom Paul a.k.a. Hungarian shape is a full-bent at ninety degrees. Those pictured are a three-quarter-bent and a two-thirds-bent that Dunhill and Castello gave catchy names to :)
KevLa

Next

Return to General Pipe Discussion