Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Falcon Pipes; Cleaning Them

Falcon Pipes; Cleaning Them

Postby Goose55 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:03 am

Hello, I am a newbie here, and also quite new to pipe smoking, yet have a question about Falcon pipes, which I like very much

I read today--somewhere--that one is not supposed to remove the stem of a Falcon pipe, for the pipe can be ruined. If this is indeed the case, what are the best BJ Long pipe cleaners to use when cleaning a Falcon pipe like this:

http://www.pipes.ws/sites/default/files ... bent-1.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Walt
“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb
Goose55

Re: Falcon Pipes; Cleaning Them

Postby William » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:28 am

Hello and welcome to T&P. When you get the chance click over on the introduction's page and tells bit more about yourself.

I would not remove the stem on a Falcon and see no reason to do so. Regular pipe cleaners should be fine for cleaning the stem and shank. Anything thicker could be a challenge to insert and pull through but it can be done.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby FlakedOut » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:41 am

Removing the stem would be the Devil's own job - remove only the bowl - and not when hot either. Falcon's use thinner pipe cleaners but regular ones do the job also. I've always squirted Hand Alcohol Gel down my metal pipes before using a pipe cleaner, leaves them in pristine condition ;)
FlakedOut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:55 am

The stem on a normal (vs. international filter type) Falcon is permanently attached to the shank, the only way to remove it is to break it. And, as others have said, there is no reason to remove it anyway.

Regular BJ Long cleaners work fine, the main cleanup is to swab out the humidome and its threads with some tissue. Also clean up the threads on the bowls so that the bowl will seat properly. These things are actually very easy to maintain and will probably last a lifetime with a little luck. ;)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Goose55 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:02 am

Thank you each one, for replying and there was excellent, reassuring advice given. I have a burn on my index finger this evening, so I can;t type much; burned from using it again at a pipe tamper. Guess I deserve it, huh? I don;t as yet have a pipe tool. And advice on choosing a pipe tool ?
“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb
Goose55

Postby Dodger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:51 am

Goose55 wrote:Thank you each one, for replying and there was excellent, reassuring advice given. I have a burn on my index finger this evening, so I can;t type much; burned from using it again at a pipe tamper. Guess I deserve it, huh? I don;t as yet have a pipe tool. And advice on choosing a pipe tool ?

I still use my forefinger as a tamper on most occasions ,you build up scar tissue :lol:

As for a pipe tool I swear by the Rodgers pipe knife ,which has a blunt rounded blade ,spike and tamper .
The cheapest is the Czech 3 in 1 but it has a scoop instead of a blade and is useless in scraping carbon from the bowl when necessary .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Goose55 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks for the advise on a pipe tool, Dodger.

I see online, the Rodgers pipe knife ,does have a safe, blunt rounded blade. Is it good steel, and quite sharp?

[i]Would that blade would work well for trimming down cake when too thick?[/i] I see a lot of tools that are called reamers, but my feeling about those are they are for folk who do a lot of restoring of estate pipes.

The Roger's tool also has this long spike, which seems to have a tiny philips screwdriver end on it. What would this spike be used for?
-Indian Proverb
Goose55

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 am

All that has been said above is great advice re Falcons. The mouthpiece should never be removed. That said, I have a Falcon where the mouthpiece is (and shouldn't be) loose and can be twisted, something that really shouldn't be possible. I use ordinary pipe cleaners here; the super slim ones are just too thin for my tastes. Falcon produce a spray that is very good for cleaning the stem and humidome; Savinelli produce their own version - 'Pip Spray'.
As to tools, I use a variety of tampers, as well as the finger! Any hard object able to fit into the bowl will suffice. Some folk use nails, or screws or even golf tees! A decent knife tool such as the Rodgers is a good and fairly cheap investment.
I use a Senior Reamer, not a knife, to scrape away carbon deposits, as I don't trust my hand with a blade to get the thing right.
The spike on the tool can be used for a variety of purposes. It can be poked down into the tobacco to loosen an over-pressed wad or to create a vent hole for ease of flow. And it can poke into the draw hole in the shank to do a bit of plumbing sometimes. I also use it simply to get rid of unwanted bits of dottle in the base! Finally, that spike is very handy to prise up the nozzle on a Zippo fuel can - saves getting fuel on the fingers!
Enjoy your pipes.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:49 am

Sound advice, folks. Also worth knowing is that a small piece of pipe-cleaner in the humidome soaks up juice nicely ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 am

Fully agree, Kev. Forgot about that! You can buy the Falcon pipe rings as well for the same purpose.
S.
Geo3rge

Postby Goose55 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:13 pm

Been reading through the posts again, taking note.

How many enjoy aromatics in a Falcon pipe? I think aromatics can have a lot of moisture and the Falcon may be one of the best pipes for that tobacco. What has been your experience?

I smoked a pipe for a brief while a couple decades ago, but quit because I was a very active working contractor and lacked the patience. But I did find I enjoyed Captain Black (white label). And, so that is what I have now. Tried some Dunhill Nightcap and I think it gave me heartburn.

(BTW, I am still waiting for the first to two Falcons, and some bowls to arrive).
-Indian Proverb
Goose55

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Good post. I smoke my Falcons daily, and absolutely love them. I tend to smoke Virginias or VaPers in them, simply because I smoke very few, if any, aromatics at all. I can't quite get into the flavours somehow, so I prefer the good, rich pure tobacco taste if I can. That said, my beloved St. Bruno, labelled as a Lakeland, has a wonderful aroma that has been commented on when I've been smoking it, but it's not an aromatic as such. Happy hunting in your quest for the tobacco that fits and enjoy those Falcons when they arrive!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:12 pm

Goose55, that 'heartburn' sounds like it was caused by more nicotine than you're used to. Nightcap is quite strong. If you try unflavoured blends again, I recommend looking for milder ones. Happy smokes!
PS.: I like your avatar :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Goose55 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17 pm

[quote="KevLa"]PS.: I like your avatar[/quote]

Canada Geese are awesome creatures and I terribly miss seeing and especially hearing them. In the ten years I've had this house, only seen them here in this tiny, isolated Arizona Sonoran Desert town, once. They had been blown off course and eyed our sewage treatment plant. And it was from there I heard their unmistakable honking, as they formed their "V" and mysteriously flew over my roof top, as if to say "Hello." As I stood there transfixed. And, no, they didn't poop on me.
-Indian Proverb
Goose55

Return to General Pipe Discussion