Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Bucket List Pipes

Bucket List Pipes

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:26 pm

What are your top three bucket list pipes?
(Bucket list meaning pipes that are a relatively far-off dream because of their rarity, high cost, etc.)
Mine:
Birth year Dunhill (1955 :shock: in my case)
A high end intricately carved Meerschaum
A spigot (reality: probably a Peterson. Dream: a Ferndown)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Bucket List Pipes

Postby TigerJack » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 am

Hi Bud, You got me there, as I am drawing a blank. There are a lot of pipes I like but with already owning so many & one in commission as I type, I don't think I have a bucket list pipe , at least at the moment . G'Day Sir
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby KevLa » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:20 am

I don't really think about pipes that are likely to remain out of my price-range forever, but I can see myself spending quite a lot (£50 - £60) on an estate morta pipe in the reasonably near future :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:37 am

I don't have a bucket list ,I have all the pipes I dreamed of getting .
That does not mean I have stopped looking or buying ,but it is not the need it was .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby TigerJack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:58 am

Dodger wrote:I don't have a bucket list ,I have all the pipes I dreamed of getting .
That does not mean I have stopped looking or buying ,but it is not the need it was .

I Agree Bud, I have entirely to many pipes as it is, but still look and buy more. I'm having and Arthur made for me & I already own 15 Arthur pipes, so that kinda says I am going a bit over board, but I think most of us do. G'Day Gents.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:30 pm

I'd like an Ashton and Les Ferndown, simply because I have heard great things about them. My third would be another from Ian Walker of Northern Briars, as a commission. I have serval of gees now and each gives a a superlative smoke.
I am, however,nunlikely to acquire any of these at the moment and will settle for the lower division models for the time being and be quite content to do so. Estates feature prominently anyway in my collection, though nowadays some estates are as expensive, if not more so, as new ones.
A difficult choice to make as there are several other makers that I'd like to buy from but simply cannot afford.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby CodgerBriar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:28 am

A nice group 4-size Parker Briarbark billiard from the 1920s-1930s would be welcome. As would a similar pre-Lane Charatan &/or patent era Sasieni/Dunhill Shell.

Champaigne taste, beer budget :lol:
CodgerBriar

Postby ratatosk » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:41 am

I've done such a good job of spoiling myself over the past couple of years, there isn't really anything left that I miss having. I would say a birth year Dunhill, but that would be 1952 and Britain was still getting on its feet then- the use of ersatz materials caused by the war had certainly stopped, but that is on the outer edge of a period in which I don't think that things were up to par yet.

So, I guess my current list of future purchases would be:

Dunhill Ring Grain Group 5 brandy
High end meerschaum- I don't care about carved horse heads, etc., just a well done traditional shape.
Savinelli Autograph
Becker briar, I already have morta and strawberry wood and they are excellent pipes.

I've also occasionally thought about buying a Porsche Design, mainly because I owned a few Porsches back in my wicked younger days. The cooling fins should work, but I get bogged down when I ask myself why I need those? :lol:
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby CodgerBriar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:20 am

You'd have a fight on your hand for a '52 Dunhill at an auction -- especially a deeply blasted shell.

The last year of the Patent stamping was 1955 ; those pipes are legendary among collector-smokers, and highly valued -- especially in scarce/popular shapes. Probably a healthy dollop of romance involved, but so it goes.
CodgerBriar

Postby ratatosk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 am

CodgerBriar wrote:You'd have a fight on your hand for a '52 Dunhill at an auction -- especially a deeply blasted shell.

The last year of the Patent stamping was 1955 ; those pipes are legendary among collector-smokers, and highly valued -- especially in scarce/popular shapes. Probably a healthy dollop of romance involved, but so it goes.

Agreed. I had a bid in on a patent era for $300 max a month or two ago and it went out for $360. I think it was a 1954, but don't really recall. I would expect a 1952 to run $400+ and would be willing enough except for my suspicion that it would not be that great to smoke.

Frankly, I think that some of these old pipes just get smoked out even if they have been well maintained. The Dunhills that I have bought as new smoke better by some margin than those I have that were made in 1965 and 1985, contrary to Internet Wisdom. Every pipe is unique, but when you see a pattern, you see a pattern.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:28 am

Right now, my top three bucket list pipes are as follows:

1962 Dunhill Shell Briar (birth year)
Claudio Cavicchi (preferably a CCC or better, but not really that picky)
Hawkbill (not that picky about brand, but from a reputable Italian company preferred)

I actually traded in nine pipes I no longer smoke for a new Neerup. At first I was a bit bummed at the trade value, but now am very happy to get rid of a bunch of dust collectors for a pipe I really enjoy smoking. I will probably look into trading some more in the future to get pipes I really want to not only own, but smoke!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Discussion