Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

SQUIRREL!

SQUIRREL!

Postby custodian » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:26 pm

While smoking on the deck last summer, I started feeding a local red squirrel and photographing it... later in the fall she moved her 4 pups to a tree in the back yard and taught them to beg from me too.

This summer, I have the mother, the 4 pups, and another male coming out to forage when I am outside smoking... today, I finished a bowl, laid the Dr Grabow down, and went inside to finish cleaning a paint brush that was soaking.

When I returned, the briar was not on the rail of the deck where I left it... but was in the back yard with the squirrels...

Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Re: SQUIRREL!

Postby KevLa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Now that's what I call a natural finish! :lol:
Seriously, nice work helping out the squirrels, and I hope it wasn't an expensive pipe :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby acaciavet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:16 am

Hey they like a good smoke too!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby PipeStoke » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:23 am

:lol:

That's brilliant, mate! I also hope the pipe wasn't too precious an example. Having said that, you now have something I would consider a thoroughly unique pipe; Rusticated by squirrels. I'm sure they meant well. :)

Also, good job on feeding the little guys. I'm a sucker for wildlife myself and while we don't get squirrels here, we feed a lot of animals. My wife is our street's 'go to' for whenever an animal is in trouble or has been hit by a car etc. I swear she can speak to them. I've seen her with so many animals where all she does is just speak to them, and they settle right down and stay with her, seemingly forgetting pain and any other concern.
PipeStoke

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Apologies for late reply.
What a great read! Must be unique in pipe stories. I doubt if the squirrels were sneaking a quick smoke back in the tree, but your briar certainly got their attention for some reason. Perhaps the tobacco residue smells great!
Would you mind if I shared this on another pipe club forum to which I belong? It's not a public forum and is seen by only the pipe-smoking members. Let me know. They would be tickled by this!
What have you decided to do with the pipe? Carry on smoking or put it on display?

Enjoy your pipes and tobaccos.
Stev
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby custodian » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 pm

I only smoke Dr Grabows and cobs outside regularly because they are inexpensive if damaged...

This Royal Duke is a favorite for flakes because it has a lot of mass to absorb the heat of a long lasting bowl...

My GF offered to replace it as an xmas gift this winter...
Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Return to General Pipe Discussion