Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Expensive pipe

Expensive pipe

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Recently saw a pipe advertised on the Savinelli website, an Autograph, for just under £1,400. The pipe, with an army mount, is still attached to its base briar block, making both pipe and block all one design. I cannot provide photos owing to technical issues. But it looks very unusual and rather uncomfortable as a smokeable pipe.
I've never spent anything like that amount of money on a pipe.
However, has anyone spent what they consider a decent amount only to find that the pipe is under par? Or, conversely, to find it to be everything they'd hoped it to be?
I know folk buy pipes to smoke, but some buy them as investments and that's fine by me. I'm wondering if this particular one will actually not be smoked at all and kept to be sold on at a later, opportune moment?

For myself, all my pipes are bought with a view to smoking them. Anyone hold different views?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Expensive pipe

Postby Dodger » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:48 pm

I have bought all my pipes to smoke ,but quite a few of the meerschaums are too beautiful to do so .Also some are too big to smoke comfortably as I have yet to come to terms with the newfangled Metric System :)
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:05 pm

£1,400 for a pipe? :roll:
A fool and his money are soon parted :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Hermit » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:44 pm

If somebody wants it that bad, then it's money well spent.
(That somebody would not be me.) ;)

People spend thousands on art that looks like preschool finger painting. :lol:
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby DarrenSnowflake » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm

I've always fancied a Dunhill pipe, whilst expensive to me, I've always looked at several models around the £300-£400 Mark. I would need to save, but, I would be willing to spend that much.

I don't do the lottery, or am money driven, but...I would drop that amount on a Dunhill, just because the ones I have seen look a bit special.....and its a Dunhill! A certain prestige ..

I'm not a Dunhill expert, although have read a book or two....

I'm sure there are threads here about this....I'm very new here still.
DarrenSnowflake

Postby Geo3rge » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 am

If you fancy a secondhand Dunhill, refurbished, sanitised etc, then I could recommend EstatePipeShop (UK). Dean there sells a large number of pipes, some new but mostly estate. Dunhills feature well and you can get an estate one for less than £200.
The website is attractive and clear and I can endorse the company as I have bought several pipes from them.
There will no doubt be other suppliers and shopping around is useful.
I think a special pipe or two in a collection is not a bad thing.
Good luck with the search.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Discussion