Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Falcons

Falcons

Postby Nomad » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:43 am

I've been thinking of trying a Falcon, and have a few questions...

Does the metal under the bowl get hot?
Do normal tapered pipe cleaners fit, or are thinner ones needed?
What difference does the dental mouthpiece make? (My briars are all fishtails, and they seem fine to me.)
What's the deal with the little circle of pipe cleaner under the bowl? Do they need to be bought, or can normal pipe cleaners be cut to length and bent into a loop?
Nomad

Re: Falcons

Postby Dodger » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Nomad wrote:I've been thinking of trying a Falcon, and have a few questions...

Does the metal under the bowl get hot?
Do normal tapered pipe cleaners fit, or are thinner ones needed?
What difference does the dental mouthpiece make? (My briars are all fishtails, and they seem fine to me.)
What's the deal with the little circle of pipe cleaner under the bowl? Do they need to be bought, or can normal pipe cleaners be cut to length and bent into a loop?

Yes it's better to hold them by the bowl unless you have gloves on .
Yes but takes a bit more effort than thinner ones .
If you have dentures it helps to stop the plastic mouthpiece from slipping .
It helps to soak up moisture and cut up pipe cleaners will work .I don't use them myself ,just let the pipe cool then unscrew the bowl and wipe up the goo in the trap and off the bottom of the bowl .This is recommended to be done after each smoke especially when smoking virginias .
Check out Gerry's posts on Falcons ,he is considered the top expert .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Worth considering. I love them, but not everyone does. I've smoked one since my late teens. Dodger's advice is sound. I use cut-up cleaners, but not always. Cleaning after each bowlful is very good practice, but I usually leave until after the second. I also wipe inside the metal base, the bowl base, including the thread and a pipe cleaner in the stem. I learned early on that the goo is foul-tasting, plus if it gets on your clothing it's foul-smelling too.
I use ordinary cleaners as I find they give a bit of grip to the stem.
I have a couple of stems with the dental mouthpiece; I find them a bit uncomfortable to clench, so prefer the multi-purpose bit, with a couple of neat steps to bite on.
Older models do not have the white Falcon logo, I rather like these - secondhand ones in my collection.
You can buy the traditional look or ones with coloured stem tube; I've recently seen one with white mouthpiece and black stem.
Briar bowls are the usual, but you can also now buy Meerschaum bowls.

I must admit that each time I smoke a Falcon I'm transported back to my youth when it was extremely popular here in the U.K. and I am sure that seeing them stirred me to try one myself. I love smoking them and one has been my companion just now.
Good luck with your search and decision. Let us know how you get on with them.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby TigerJack » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 am

I don't have a Falcon but I do have a Dr. Plumb Peace-Maker in which is basically the same design, it smokes great but with that said I hardly ever smoke it , there is just something about metal that for me don't belong on "my" pipes.

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Nomad » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks all.

I fear, if the metal gets so hot that gloves are needed, then a Falcon won't be something I'd get along with.

Oh well...
Nomad

Postby Hidiho » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:15 am

I have 4 Falcons, 2 (old)x Straight Chrome. 1 x International Bent and 1x International Straight denture.

I prefer the smaller Dublin size bowls and tend to hold the pipes more than biting down on the stems and rarely have issues with heat, I'm putting this down to the tobacco which I order from a tobacconist in Melbourne Australia which is their own blend hailing from Denmark, my favorite bowl is slightly thinner than a Dublin as it is concave in the middle the bowl it does get some warmth but not enough that you can't hold it.

Personally I find the internationals a little heavier than the straight chrome but the internationals do take the dry rings as well as a filter inserted into the stem. I stopped using the dry rings and rarely use the filters (actually I rarely smoke the internationals).

I use thin pipe cleaners on the Falcons as the standard pipe cleaners that I get won't fit through the stem (mouth piece), and did use the Falcon cleaner for a while till the last can I bought wouldn't spray and now just use alcohol (vodka) to clean the pipe/bowl instead.

I don't like the denture stems (and I have dentures) so this is something to consider as well.

A friend of mine who also smoked a Falcon never used dry rings but just used a piece of Kleenex tissue in the bowl instead.

Cheers
Hidiho

Postby KevLa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:06 am

I use pieces of pipe-cleaner to make my own dry-rings. Won't smoke a Falcon without a fresh one.
The humidome shouldn't get hot unless you're really blazing away.
Great pipes that really cool the smoke, but also demand a clean after every smoke, I find.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby custodian » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am

I find that Dill's pipe cleaners from Dr Grabow pass thru the stem just fine...

and I clip a relatively clean segment from the used cleaner to fabricate the "ring filter" for the next bowl...

just wrap your cleaner around a Bic Stick pen or similar for the perfect diameter...
Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 pm

I must admit, I've not at all noticed the metal getting too hot. It's never been an issue in the forty or so years that I've been smoking a pipe and a good part of that with Falcons.
If you wish to get one, I'd certainly endorse it. I personally think that they are great pipes, plus they are relatively cheap, too!

My advice? Try one! The other advice in this thread is good stuff!
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Unsure if I’ve posted this before, so here goes.
Having bought a secondhand bent Falcon stem, which, to me, has the perfect balance re weight and angle etc, I’ve enjoyed it for a few years until noticing a leakage of goo on my hands.
It wasn’t from the thread or stem/dome join.
Turns out that the lowest part of the stem, which normally is the area that rests on the surface, has worn through with goodness knows how many years of pipe cleaners being pushed through.
The interior metal has finally become so thin that my cleaners eventually caused a mini hole.

I made a mix of epoxy and applied to the gap. It has worked a treat, but I suspect that once again the epoxy itself will eventually wear down as well.
Just a thought; go easy with those cleaners! A slight bending of the tip before it goes in might help?
I still enjoy it, but I bought another secondhand one just to be sure...
Geo3rge

Return to General Pipe Discussion