Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

New Pipe Suggestions please

New Pipe Suggestions please

Postby TommyB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm

I currently have a Savinelli Roma series 504 bulldog which I really like, however for some reason three seems to be the number stuck in my head at the moment. I'm willing to spend up to a $100 on each of my next two pipes. Without paying for fancy inlays and artwork what would you guys recommend are the best smokers in this price range? Sidenote, I really like the bulldog shape but seeing that I only want three total I don't know if more than one bulldog will be enough variety. I also like FVF and anniversary kake as my top two tobaccos. Thanks

TommyB
TommyB

Re: New Pipe Suggestions please

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Peterson Aran series
Peterson Shannon series
Peterson Shamrock series
Peterson Donegal Rocky series
Peterson Kildare series
Peterson Killarney series
Peterson Rock of Cashel series

Savinelli Florence series
Savinelli Trevi series
Savinelli Spring series
Savinelli Tevere series
Savinelli Roma series
Savinelli Venezia series
Savinelli Pisa series
Savinelli Duca Carlo series
Savinelli il Meglio series
Savinelli Laguna series

caveat / disclaimers...
I have a lot of Peterson and Savinelli pipes and can vouch for every one of them
however
I do not
own examples from every Peterson series and every and Savinelli series listed above. Listed above are the series that are in the price range you specified.

My personal belief (based on experience) is that within one single brand of pipes, the basic functionality of the pipe is the same whether the pipe is one of the less expensive models or one of the fancy-pretty models. It's true of Peterson and Savinelli, at any rate.
Not everyone shares this view, in fact many would say that I'm nuts.
For instance, I have a #408 (kind of a bloated prince/author shape) Peterson Shamrock ($70) and a #408 Celtic ($280+) and they smoke the same to me.

BTW - if you're easygoing about a pipe's appearance, you can get a Savinelli smoke at a cut rate price by buying a Savienlli Natural. These pipes are seconds. They are not stained, not polished, etc. They are sanded, but are bare wood. They almost all have putty fills. As you handle them, the parts where your fingers constantly touch become a dark brown color over time from the oil and perspiration on your fingers.

Sounds a little weird, but they're pretty popular. I like them a lot, have about 6 of them.
Vulcanite stem:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/naturals.html
Lucite stem:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/sanapiwilu.html

I guarantee you will also get recommendations for Stanwell, but I don't have any Stanwells.
Last edited by HowlinWolf on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ScotsJim » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Hi Tommy.

Have you thought of getting a Falcon ? Lovely, cool smoking pipes. I particularily like the Falcon International series. I have one of each. Also, the Peterson standard sytem are great pipes too. I have a particular fondness for Peterson pipes and own five. And don't forget cobs ! I've got three of those and they smoke great.

Ebay can be a great place to pick up a bargain.

Whatever you decide upon, happy puffing !

Regards,
Jim
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:BTW - if you're easygoing about a pipe's appearance, you can get a Savinelli smoke at a cut rate price by buying a Savienlli Natural. These pipes are seconds. They are not stained, not polished, etc. They are sanded, but are bare wood. They almost all have putty fills. As you handle them, the parts where your fingers constantly touch become a dark brown color over time from the oil and perspiration on your fingers.

Here is a pic of a Savinelli Natural with about 6 years' use on it. The little light colored curlicue you see toward the back of the bowl and what looks like a nick near the rim are actually putty fills.
Note how the parts of the pipe that are not touched are still light colored - for instance the crook where the shank meets the bowl, and the bottom of the bowl.
Attachments
Sav Nat bent.JPG
Sav Nat bent.JPG (14.22 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ewlewis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:30 am

I would also add to that list Bjarne Classic Viking or a mid range Nording. You may also want to go over to Ebay and check out the Mario Grande
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby SmokinFool » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 am

You can't really go wrong with any of the above suggestions. There are many many good-smoking pipes that can be had for under $100.
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby indigosmoke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:19 am

All the above are great suggestions. I might also add that I've noticed recently that a lot of vendors are selling off the last of their Danish made stock of Stanwells at very good prices. Check cupojoes.com, smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com for some examples.

You might also want to consider an estate pipe from a reputable vendor. I've found that some of my best pipes are older pipes from the 1930's through the 1970's. You can also get a more expensive recently made pipe this way for less money. For example, within the last few months I have purchased a very nice Castello from Marty Pulver for $135 and beautiful, like new 1948 pre-Republic Peterson Killarney from smokingpipes.com for $110. Both of these pipes smoke wonderfully. Some of the quality vendors I've used personally are:

http://www.pulversbriar.com/
http://stores.ebay.com/SECOND-HAND-SMOKES-Estate-Pipes
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/

Pipes from these vendors come restored, sanitized and ready to smoke.

BTW - Don't be hesitant to make an offer on one of the pipes at Second Hand Smokes. Depending on the pipe, Mark will often settle on a price significantly less than his asking price. Getting 30% to 40% off the asking price is not unusual unless the pipe is rare or collectable. In any case, if you see a pipe you like make an offer and he will often come back with a counter offer and you can counter offer and so on until you reach agreement. For example, I recently offered $40 on a Peterson Kapruf from the 70's for which he as asking $75. We went back and forth a bit and I got it for $47.
"I can always settle a quarrel if I know beforehand whether the plenipotentiary smokes Cavendish, Latakia, or Shag." - Lord Clarendon
indigosmoke

Postby Smoker99 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 am

Try RM Davison pipes. He will hand make you a pipe from excellent briar, and under $100, unbelievable, but true. No connection other than I have had him make two pipes for me, both excellent smokers.
Smoker99

Postby Muddler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:50 am

Here's another shout out for Bob Davison pipes - I don't own one but intend to. I suggest you get yourself a Pete System 303 - perhaps the most classic of system shapes & great for flakes.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby TommyB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was actually just going to ask which of all these options would be best for flakes. I'm leaning towards a peterson system pipe and or a stanwell colonial 32 bulldog however for the value and great smokeability I also like the savinelli natural rhodesian
TommyB

Postby acaciavet » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Hey ounce you Go Pietenpau you never go back. Cant wiat for the POY :D
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 am

Once you have smoked a Falcon, it is difficult to find a better pipe for flakes ...
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 am

ScotsJim and Rompin Donkey both mentioned Falcons. I have seen them and was never really impressed with them. Methinks I have to rethink them!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:08 am

KevinM wrote:ScotsJim and Rompin Donkey both mentioned Falcons. I have seen them and was never really impressed with them. Methinks I have to rethink them!!

Yeah, I'm not all that excited by their appearance, but they smoke like a charm if you put a Dry-Ring (or the cheap equivalent of a bit of pipe-cleaner) below the bowl. I've got five, and picked most of those up off of eBay for great prices.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ScotsJim » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

KevLa wrote:
KevinM wrote:ScotsJim and Rompin Donkey both mentioned Falcons. I have seen them and was never really impressed with them. Methinks I have to rethink them!!

Yeah, I'm not all that excited by their appearance, but they smoke like a charm if you put a Dry-Ring (or the cheap equivalent of a bit of pipe-cleaner) below the bowl. I've got five, and picked most of those up off of eBay for great prices.

It's the appearance that put me off initially. That's why my first Falcon was a curved Falcon International and they look cool :)

I recenly bought a standard silver stemmed system Falcon ( the ones that look like something that fell out of a tool box ) because ;

A) They smoke brilliantly.

B) My grandad smoked nothing but a Falcon like this for the last few years of his life.

C) I got it for a song.

I personally don't recommend the dry rings as I find they impair the flavor of most tobacco ( Unless you're a St Bruno smoker. Believe me, you'll never notice the difference :lol: )

Regards,
Jim
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby KevinKeith » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 pm

I was never put off by the Falcon...my first love was a Dr. Grabow Viking. Eventually I had three of them through the years and went Falcon once they were discontinued. I can heartily "amen" what has been said here about those wonderful hunks of smoking metal!
Just a Square Bear from Nowhere.

Kevin
KevinKeith

Postby ChuckMac » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm

I've got two falcons and wouldn't get rid of them for love nor money. When I get tired of the bowl on the curved stem I just switch it for the bowl on the straight stem. It's kinda like having four pipes.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby burro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am

ScotsJim wrote:And don't forget cobs !

yes, get a cob, best value for your dollar.
"I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat" Grannie Hawkins
burro

Postby TommyB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:17 am

OK, I ordered a falcon international with an algiers shape bowl

http://www.premierpipes.com/Falconpipes ... SM-ALG.jpg

Thanks scotsjim for the recommendation, I'll keep you posted oh how it smokes.
Hopefully a good shape bowl for flakes.

TommyB
TommyB

Postby TommyB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:18 am

Oops, wrong topic, I'll post in new aquisitions
TommyB

Next

Return to General Pipe Discussion