Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Tobacco tasting bitter

Tobacco tasting bitter

Postby JoshW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Greetings forum!

Just recently I have been smoking my pipe and have noticed that my tobacco either has a strange bitter taste, or it either has no taste to it at all. Granted I have had the issue from the first time I did pipe smoking, I thought that the problem would have went away if I had smoked it some more but it hasn't. I have only smoked aromatics, and most of the tobacco has been drug store tobbaco, except one which I bought from a tobaccanist. I'm wondering if all aromatics tend to do this? I have smoked some cigars and never dealt with an issue like this, and I'm also wondering if I should just switch to smoking virginia or english blends? Could it possibly be my way of preparing the tobacco, or the way I smoke it? All opinions, and tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
If smoking is not allowed in Heaven, I shall not go! -Mark Twain
JoshW

Re: Tobacco tasting bitter

Postby KevinM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey Josh, sounds like a moisture issue. Smoking too fast, really moist aromatic tobaccos, or pipes that arent allowed to dry out properly causing a nasty tobacco water moisture build up at the bottom of the bowl and inside the stem. You can try drying to tobaccos out a bit, slow your smoking speed down, and make sure you use pipe cleaners between and sometimes even during smokes to keep the pipe dry. Do you get gurgle a lot when smoking? Thats a key that it is probably moisture. Make sure to give your a pipe a rest for a day or so after smoking it that day to dry it out. If you can see moisture at the bottom of the bowl before you load it up again, its too wet and needs to dry more.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby BladeBoy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 pm

As stated previously it sounds like a moisture issue, smoking too fast can make it bitter also. They make these little screen balls that suspend your tabacco up off the bottom of the bowl and some other little caulk filters too, a lot of guys say filters are no good but I have had a good experience with them they improve the taste of my smokes, if your pipe will accept filters I would use them Medico makes paper filters but the Savinelli Balsa ones work the best really give a nice dry smoke but they do have to be changed every 2 to 4 bowls depending on the moisture content of the tobacco when the filter becomes saturated it begins to taste nasty. You spend a little on the filters but I feel it's worth it because you waste less tobacco.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
BladeBoy

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Mmm ... The only time that I get a bitter taste, is when I am smoking a new pipe. Are you smoking new pipes?
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Supporting Member & Plank Owner

Postby JoshW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Rompin I have had my pipe for atleast possibly six months, though I havent smoked it much. The problem isn't just a bitter taste it's also a bland taste aswell.
JoshW

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Some Peterson pipes can be terrible to start with, especially when their stain has run into the shank and draw hole. That can take a while to "smoke out" of the pipe. It does taste VERY bitter.

Everything tasting bland can sometimes be a too tight pack, which can lead to moisture getting where it shouldn't , and so on ....
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby JoshW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Rompin Have you had any experience with savinelli's?
JoshW

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:27 pm

I have Josh.

You wouldn't normally expect a briar to "leach" but it can sometimes.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby JoshW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:47 pm

Rompin would you sugest trying some other tobaccos such as english, and virginia blends and see if it's not the pipe? If so what blends would you sugest? I'm really looking for a blend with lots of flavor. Since I have been told that aromatics arn't realy for flavor and more for the room note, and if there is a flavor it's very subtle. I have never had an issue of dealing with bitter/ bland tobacco with a cigar, is it because cigars have a more pungent flavor?

Thanks in advance.
JoshW

Postby bob9039 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 am

JoshW wrote: I have only smoked aromatics, and most of the tobacco has been drug store tobacco, except one which I bought from a tobacconist.

The problem isn't just a bitter taste it's also a bland taste as well.

I suggest you try a different approach ...

Try ordering some quality tobacco on the internet vs the OTC stuff you have tried. I suspect this is the problem. Don't base your love of pipe tobacco on OTC blends. I also suggest you try a non-aromatic or a cross over blend like Erinmore Flake or Robert McConnels Red virgina. There are a number of great aromatics at Boswells, Hearth & Home, or Pipeworks & Wilke. There are many others that have been referenced on the forum.
Bob
bob9039
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm

Josh, I think most aros are bland in flavor compared to a cigar. Most aros are noted as being mild, while most english or cigar blend pipe tobaccos are noted as being moderate to strong. I think Bob's suggestion of trying some better grade tobaccos may help you find the flavor levels you are seeking while eliminating the bitterness. Cheaper OTC tobaccos may not be as good a quality as some better brands which as Bob stated could also be leading to bitter tastes. Also, as a cigar smoker your palatte is accustomed to heavier, stronger, and more complicated flavors in general. You could try a heavier English Blend like Ashtons Artisans Blend, Dunhill's Nightcap, or even Cornell and Diehl's Billy Budd (which is a cigar blend). I also noted that you only appear to have one pipe. If you are smoking it every day, it may just need a good cleaning to get all the buit up tars and grunge out. Then give it a rest for a day or two to completely dry out to help eliminate the bitter taste.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby JoshW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks Bob, and Kevin! I plan on buying a new pipe today, and some different tobaccos and see how that goes.
JoshW

Postby JoshW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:51 pm

I went to my tobacconist today, and just bought some Mac Baren's Scottish mixture. Have any of you had such a blend, and if so would it suit some one who's is looking for a tobacco with a heavy flavor, and use to having cigars with a heavy flavor? I'm also looking at getting some Peterson's Irish flake, would this be recomended to try out as well? Also since my local tobacconist doesn't cary a large selection of pipe tobacco, and most of what they have are their own aromatic blends, does any one know if it's safe to get tobacco online? The reason for asking is because I was told that if I buy alot of tobacco online that I might have to pay back the taxes that I avoided, if caught.
JoshW

Postby bob9039 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 am

If you are used to cigars, the Irish flake will provide a very full flavored smoke. The MacB Scottish mix is quite a bit milder. I would also suggest Peterson University Flake if they have it. Your will probably like Rattray's virginia blends also. Best prices are at JR cigars online.

As for the taxes... I don't know how anyone would know? I don't believe there are any laws right now that force the seller to disclose an internet sale. Yet.

Edit: Collectively, this forum probably buys 1000 lbs/year on-line. Yes it is safe and the only way to buy good tobacco at affordable prices. It is legal. Try smokingpipes.com, 4noggins, or cupojoes to start out with. :)

As long as the tobacco is for personal use and not resale you won't have any problems. No fear.
Last edited by bob9039 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
bob9039
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby JoshW » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:58 am

Then I'll probably get the Irish flake pretty soon then. My reasoning for asking about the taxes is because I've heard cases of people that bought cartons of cigarettes, and the states realized that they were losing money on cigarette taxes. The states eventually demanded the sites that sold cigarettes to give a list of their customors, and eventually the states mailed out letters to the customers on the amount of taxes that were owed. Some of the taxes owed amounted to four thousand dollars.
JoshW

Postby BladeBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 am

I just got some C&D Billy Budd it's a cigar blend, you might like that.
BladeBoy

Postby ScotsJim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

JoshW wrote:Then I'll probably get the Irish flake pretty soon then.

Going by your tastes alone, that's an excellent choice methinks.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Falconeer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:20 pm

I,m smoking MacBarren´s Scottish Mixture in a natural Spanish made cob at present and I like it a lot. It isn´t however a strong tasting nor a really strong tobacco either. It´s presented dry as most MacBarrens are, can just be folded and stuffed into the pipe without further rubbbing ( it´s quite a course cut broken flake) and with me when lit bruns away cleanly to the bottom of the bowl without a further relight. It benefits from tamping down from time to time and should be taken slow. It has a slightly sweetish taste but not overwhelmingly so.

I find it a pleasant smoke, but doný think anyone with a liking for Rnglish Blends would take to it,

Hope this helps

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby bob9039 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 am

Gerry, I like MacB Scottish Mixture as well. I was just saying it's milder than Peterson Irish flake ... which is actually a bit strong for my liking. How's Spain. I Googled your general location and it looks like a fantastic place to be. Absolutely beautiful. A lot of history to see. Hope you are enjoying yourself. Do you go there every winter?
Bob
bob9039
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Cptaz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 am

Irish Flake is some good, straightforward stuff. Careful if you don't smoke a lot, though; it's got a wicked nic hit, even to this cigarette smoker. In other words: love it. :)

I'm enjoying some GL Pease Key Largo right now, which has some cigar wrapper leaf and is a real nice, complex, creamy smoke, but I wouldn't really say it tastes a lot like cigars. Check it out on tobaccoreviews.com and see if sounds interesting to you.
-Chris
Cptaz

Next

Return to General Pipe Discussion