Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Dreams and wishes?

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

Dreams and wishes?

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 am

I haven't bought a new pipe for a while. That doesn't stop me scanning the catalogues or online shops, or even sitting staring into space whilst I dream of my next perfect piece of briar. But, when the bills have to be paid and the surplus funds are low, it's best to put off the temptation until better times.
Actually, those better times will be quite soon, I hope, and I'm planning to get a couple of pipes to treat myself.
Like all of us, the choice is too wide for me to make a simple choice. Is it going to be this one or that one? Or what about the other?
I'm going to sit down and simply look at what is out there. If it appeals, is within reach and looks a winner, it'll go on the wish list and, who knows, it might then come true. I'll be posting here if and when I get that package in the post.
For now, I'm polishing up the old ones, rubbing down the stems and cleaning the insides and feeling better for it.
An old pipe can be given a new lease of life just by giving it a new shine. And not many of them are non-performers either. It's just that they sit on the rack pleading to be smoked and some have been neglected for far too long.
New pipe? Hope so. But, I'm up to using the old ones as well.
Any dreams or wishes when it comes to your pipes?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Dreams and wishes?

Postby TigerJack » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:10 am

Hi Steve, I have bought way to many pipes over the last several months & my buying has got to come to a quick halt, I have for the most part bought Estate pipes and refurbished them with the exception of the Marvic Aurthor I had Gary at Marvic pipes make for me from some Plum Burl I had , as far as a wish list all I have on it is a couple more Marvic commissions as I want another Aurthor & a Rhodesian & I will call it quits and actually sell some of my , how to say it, not so much pipes as it were , all my pipes are good smokers or they don't stay period but I own way to many & have health issues & I don't intend to leave 150+ pipes for some of my family to give away for pocket change LOL. I do agree with your thoughts of adding some to a wish list and then making a final decision as to what you really want to add to your collection. Enjoy the browsing around for pipes as that's a big part of the fun of it. G'Day Sir

EDIT: I forgot to mention pull some of your older maybe tired looking pipes out & give them a good going over, as it is very easy to make them look like new once again & you can find great pleasure in doing so. G' Day Again Sir.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 am

Great post, brim. At 150, that's many more than I have! A good number of mine are also estates and they are excellent smokers. Like you, I've been considering what happens to a collection when it's passed on. I would hope that I can dispose of many of them before that day comes! I just enjoy a pipe too much!
Yes, I've been getting out some old ones and giving them a bit of TLC lately. Seems to breathe a bit of new life in them!
Hope your health issues can be resolved or managed as satisfactorily as possible.

It's a great 'hobby' and I can't think of anything nicer than having a good pipe or two.
Take care, sir...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby rusty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Great post, and I too would love a nice church warden but will have to wait. But the giving your pipes a good going over sounds a great idea too.
Iv just gone through my main few that I use in rotation, nothing in depth but a good clean and polish. It must be psychological or maybe not? But there seems to be a noticeable difference in enjoyment of them.
rusty

Postby KevinM » Tue May 10, 2016 11:53 pm

I just picked up a new pipe last week. A Savinelli Canadian house pipe from my local B&M. Not very expensive, and I love it!! I have to hold back as there are a couple of bucket list pipes I would like to get one day, but never will if I keep spending pipe budget frivolously.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Aquisitions and Finds