Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

New pipe given gratis

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

New pipe given gratis

Postby Geo3rge » Sun May 29, 2016 11:13 pm

I was given a small bent billiard about three weeks ago. No maker's name on it, just 'Airflow' stamped on the shank, plain walnut brown, but with good grain and a pleasing shape.
I took it off the rack today and filled up with some St. Bruno Flake. This unpretentious little pipe turns out to be a fantastic smoker; the bit fits snugly between the teeth and balances perfectly.
I've smoked it all afternoon and it's proven, already, to be a hit and favourite. Great pipe. No pics as yet but will try to get one across soon. The complicated procedure of transferring images on a dodgy laptop and using a lengthy photo editing process makes the job a bit tough at times.
Hope you are enjoying your pipes.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: New pipe given gratis

Postby KevLa » Sun May 29, 2016 11:16 pm

It just goes to show, mate. Nice one :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun May 29, 2016 11:18 pm

That was a quick reply, Kev!
Yes, it shows that not every pipe needs to be a top-of-the-range, high priced object. This pipe must be very cheap, whoever made it, but it sure gives a brilliant smoke.

See you soon, sir...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby PipeStoke » Mon May 30, 2016 9:56 am

I love hearing when an unassuming pipe, with not particular pedigree, brings joy to its owner. I hope you'll sort out a photo or two, Steve.

I have one that is in that category, too. It's a 'White Star' which came in one of those kits you can sometimes pick up at tobacconists; a 'Pipe smoking beginner kit.' I wasn't really new to the pipe when I bought the kit in about 2006, but it's a great smoker which I still smoke at least 2-3 times a week - and frequently many days in a row. I think that whole kit, with a pouch of tobacco, a pipe tool and a pack of pipe cleaners cost me no more than about $20/£10.
PipeStoke

Postby TigerJack » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:36 am

I am a big fan of "Old Briar" in which I mean older pipes & mainly the working man brands , such as Dr. Grabow , Ehrlich, Custombilt , Willard , Edwards & that's just to name a few, but I have found that they smoke as good as any high end pipe, the main difference in a working mans pipe and a high end pipes are, the high end pipe don't have fills/flaws , cosmetic flaws that is, all else is pretty much equal, if you doubt this you haven't actually given any of these pipes a fair chance. You can find fantastic smokers in these brands for pocket change in some cases , don't miss read me there is nothing wrong with high end pipes I have a few, not many mind you but a few. My main deal is I prefer aged briar & all the brands mentioned used excellent briar to start with only it had a fill or two, and to top that off they have been aging all these years improving with age as time has passed.Give one or two a try & I think you will be surprised. G'Day Gents
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Return to Aquisitions and Finds