Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

My New Morta

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

My New Morta

Postby KevLa » Sun May 29, 2016 11:14 pm

Hello, folks.

A while back, our friend Steve was asking about our 'dream pipes', and my response was that I was waiting for a morta at the right price.
Well, my wait is over. I saw this one, fell in love with her, and managed to get her for a decent price, though still quite a lot for my pocket.
She smokes splendidly, and I am well pleased :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipe-estate-en-bois-de-Morta-filtre-9mm-/182129079865?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=jRcAmlsdt6KZ7wtI2xYCn0EnNIY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Re: My New Morta

Postby PipeStoke » Mon May 30, 2016 3:43 pm

That is a beautiful pipe, Kev. I love it.

I've wanted a morta for quite a while now. Frankly, I've wanted it since I realised there was such a thing. I used to do volunteer work on archaeological excavations for my local museum and as a result, anything that comes out of the ground, with a bit of age on it, pulls at my heartstrings. My parents live on the edge of one of the most significant sacrificial bogs in Denmark with a surrounding history of 7-8000 years of continual settlement. While I know such a situation is deeply unlikely, I've often thought how incredible it would be to get a pipe made from oak pulled from there. That'll never happen, I know, but the thought still tickles my fancy. I still love taking walks in the fields there though, and I doubt I've ever walked there for more than ten minutes without finding flint tools on the ground.

Where was I? Oh yes. I too, want a morta pipe. :lol:
PipeStoke

Postby Desolbones » Tue May 31, 2016 7:30 pm

Congratulations Kev,
Very nice blast and looks to be a sitter to some degree, may you enjoy the unadulterated flavor of many cool bowls.
Greg
Desolbones

Postby KevLa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 am

PipeStoke wrote:That is a beautiful pipe, Kev. I love it.

I've wanted a morta for quite a while now. Frankly, I've wanted it since I realised there was such a thing. I used to do volunteer work on archaeological excavations for my local museum and as a result, anything that comes out of the ground, with a bit of age on it, pulls at my heartstrings. My parents live on the edge of one of the most significant sacrificial bogs in Denmark with a surrounding history of 7-8000 years of continual settlement. While I know such a situation is deeply unlikely, I've often thought how incredible it would be to get a pipe made from oak pulled from there. That'll never happen, I know, but the thought still tickles my fancy. I still love taking walks in the fields there though, and I doubt I've ever walked there for more than ten minutes without finding flint tools on the ground.

Where was I? Oh yes. I too, want a morta pipe. :lol:

Thanks, my friend. I can certainly now recommend a good morta, although I think a decently-priced estate is worth waiting, and then waiting some more, for. £50, including postage, makes this the most expensive pipe in my collection, but I've wanted one for years. Considering what morta pipes usually go for, some would call this a bargain. I can't go that far, as she's still just a pipe. An attractive one, made from an interesting material that, most importantly, smokes well, but still just a pipe. I will say that I'm glad I bought her, though :)
Please let us know if and when you acquire your own mortar.
It sounds like your parents live in a very interesting place! :o
Last edited by KevLa on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:04 am

Desolbones wrote:Congratulations Kev,
Very nice blast and looks to be a sitter to some degree, may you enjoy the unadulterated flavor of many cool bowls.
Greg

Thanks, mate. Yes, she's a sitter, to some degree ;)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:17 am

Congratulations, Kev. Looks a fine pipe, sturdy and solid in line and design. Hope it gives some great smokes for a long while to come. I don't have a Morta but I've heard good things about them. Let us know if you notice any differences between it and briar pipes.
Sometimes it's worth spending that little extra on something, particularly if it's what you've been wanting for a while and if you think it will be a good performer.
I wish you joy in smoking it, Kev. Now, which tobacco to go with it...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:42 am

Geo3rge wrote:Congratulations, Kev. Looks a fine pipe, sturdy and solid in line and design. Hope it gives some great smokes for a long while to come. I don't have a Morta but I've heard good things about them. Let us know if you notice any differences between it and briar pipes.
Sometimes it's worth spending that little extra on something, particularly if it's what you've been wanting for a while and if you think it will be a good performer.
Steve

Cheers, my friend. Yeah, she's a pretty chunky girl with some lovely curves and wonderful grain, and a welcome addition to my collection. I don't buy nearly as many pipes as I used to, so when I do, she has to be something a bit special.
So far, the only difference I've noticed is that she heats up relatively quickly given the thickness of her walls. Not too quickly, though, and I'm a comparatively fast puffer :)
And I've already smoked several different blends in her. I picked Latakia blends to begin with, having heard the rumour that the mustiness of new morta can affect less flavourful blends. However, mine's an estate, and I've now smoked mellower blends in her, still without this problem.
In every way, she's a lovely pipe. I won't be making the purchase of £50 pipes into a regular habit, though :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 pm

KevLa wrote:
Geo3rge wrote:Congratulations, Kev. Looks a fine pipe, sturdy and solid in line and design. Hope it gives some great smokes for a long while to come. I don't have a Morta but I've heard good things about them. Let us know if you notice any differences between it and briar pipes.
Steve

Cheers, my friend. Yeah, she's a pretty chunky girl with some lovely curves and wonderful grain, and a welcome addition to my collection. I don't buy nearly as many pipes as I used to, so when I do, she has to be something a bit special.
So far, the only difference I've noticed is that she heats up relatively quickly given the thickness of her walls. Not too quickly, though, and I'm a comparatively fast puffer :)
And I've already smoked several different blends in her. I picked Latakia blends to begin with, having heard the rumour that the mustiness of new morta can affect less flavourful blends. However, mine's an estate, and I've now smoked mellower blends in her, still without this problem.
In every way, she's a lovely pipe. I won't be making the purchase of £50 pipes into a regular habit, though :)

Go on, Kev. Spend a couple of hundred pounds on your next pipe. What do you think...........
I think I know what you think...!!!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Go on, Kev. Spend a couple of hundred pounds on your next pipe. What do you think...........
I think I know what you think...!!!

Hahahaha! I think you know what I think, too. :lol:
KevLa

Postby PipeStoke » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:56 am

KevLa wrote:Thanks, my friend. I can certainly now recommend a good morta, although I think a decently-priced estate is worth waiting, and then waiting some more, for. £50, including postage, makes this the most expensive pipe in my collection, but I've wanted one for years. Considering what morta pipes usually go for, some would call this a bargain. I can't go that far, as she's still just a pipe. An attractive one, made from an interesting material that, most importantly, smokes well, but still just a pipe. I will say that I'm glad I bought her, though :)
Please let us know if and when you acquire your own mortar.
It sounds like your parents live in a very interesting place! :o

I think that's how I'll be doing it, yes. £50 would quite easily be the most expensive pipe in my collection, too. I think the highest I've paid so far is in the £25 region. I do have an 'override' rule on most things though; if I come across something where I feel that 'this really is the one I want' I allow myself a much higher budget than I would normally consider. It's rare that I come across something like that though, where it's just a 'must have' situation.

I might put up a few photos of my parent's place — or rather, its surrounds. It's a wonderful area and walking through it you can somehow feel the history. I don't mean that in any 'spiritual' sense, but more that you can tell how ideal it would always have been and there seem to be signs of that history everywhere.
PipeStoke

Return to Aquisitions and Finds