Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Ardor

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

Ardor

Postby KevinP » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:00 am

I've always admired Ardor pipes, especially with this particular 'rustication' (though that word doesn't really fit). I just always found them a little too pricey. If I'd seen one in person I'd've probably bit, but international orders has a way of, thankfully, curtailing impulse purchases...to some extent.

However, this one showed up as an estate at a reasonable price and I snatched it right away.

KevinP

Re: Ardor

Postby PipeStoke » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:42 pm

That is one beautiful pipe, Kevin.

I haven't seen a pipe with that form of patterned rustication before, and if you'd described it to me before I'd seen it I think I would have expected not to like it. And yet, it's wonderful.

Nice find!
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:58 pm

That's a pretty pipe, Kevin. I hope she smokes well for you :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:48 am

Nice pipe, Kevin. I'd say Ardor compares quite well with Castello which is why they are expensive. I've only got one, an Ardor Marte Ninfea Prince, but it is well made and smokes great.

I like the rustication on yours, enjoy it. :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinP » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks, all.

PipeStoke wrote:I haven't seen a pipe with that form of patterned rustication before, and if you'd described it to me before I'd seen it I think I would have expected not to like it. And yet, it's wonderful.

To me it looks like the ruins of an old cathedral discovered buried under layers of rubble.
KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 am

ratatosk wrote:Nice pipe, Kevin. I'd say Ardor compares quite well with Castello which is why they are expensive. I've only got one, an Ardor Marte Ninfea Prince, but it is well made and smokes great.

Nice. I especially like the stem on yours.
KevinP

Postby ratatosk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:52 am

KevinP wrote:
ratatosk wrote:Nice pipe, Kevin. I'd say Ardor compares quite well with Castello which is why they are expensive. I've only got one, an Ardor Marte Ninfea Prince, but it is well made and smokes great.

Nice. I especially like the stem on yours.

It's actually a little more artsy than I prefer, but it is nice silver work and shaping.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Excellent pipes, gentlemen. Fine craftsmanship in them and what a beauty of carving there. The effort and skill needed and expended can clearly be seen.
I trust they will give some super smokes for a very long time.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevinP » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:00 am

Must say, this pipe is bigger than I expected. (Pipes I order online nearly always look smaller than I imagined.) My entire pinkie fits in the bowl. I like big pipes, but by time I'm nearing the bottom, I get a bit piped out.

I'd have to see an bona fide group 6 to be sure, but this might actually be closer to an ODA.
KevinP

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:16 am

I seem to suffer from the reverse, Kevin. Some pipes I've ordered online arrive smaller than I thought. I must read the specs data on them beforehand. It might help. I once had a very large Peterson system. I cannot remember which number it was, but it was a massive bowl and I never, ever, finished it. After a while, I'd had enough.
Enjoy yours anyway!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:56 am

Most Ardors are big, as are several other Italian pipe brands. That's what appealed to me about the Marte Ninfea that I have, it is more like Group 4.

For future refernce, Castellos are not remarkably large until you get into the Great Line stuff. I only have one of those, but it's pretty damn big:

Obviously, it is the one in the middle, the Ferndown at the bottom is Group 5/6. :)
Last edited by ratatosk on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:47 am

Piped out? Just set it down and come back to it later! _, :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 am

Fine pipes, Richard. I really like the Ferndown. I would perhaps find the middle one a bit too large, but it's a handsome pipe nonetheless and I wish you many happy pipefuls in it. Keeping well?
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevinP » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:59 am

Well the quest for the right tobacco for this huge pipe continues. I love the pipe too much to relegate it to out-of-rotation, but the tobaccos I usually smoke don't work well in it.

I tend to be a slow smoker, so the very large size is an issue. I could easily get 2.5 hours out of this pipe. Ribbons take too long. Flakes take longer. I've tried cutting them up with scissors so the pieces are very small, but it's still a long smoke (and a lot of cutting). Cube cut seems to work okay, but the trouble is: while I don't have anything against cube cut, there just aren't any cube cut blends that I'm excited about.

What has seemed to work best is crumble cake since, unlike flakes/ropes/coins/plugs/etc, it's not a hassle to get small pieces. As with cube cuts, there are no crumble cakes in my main tobacco rotation, but at least there are some I enjoy, and I plan to actively search for more.
KevinP

Postby Irminsul » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm

I've only one Ardor, but it's the most unique poker shape (?) that I have, with a long pencil shank. And I love the rustication work.

Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:40 pm

That's a beauty indeed and I think the rustication is fabulous. Excellent to see it here. Enjoy it.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:20 pm

KevinP wrote:Well the quest for the right tobacco for this huge pipe continues...

OK, if you don't want to leave her and come back to her, how about not filling her completely to begin with....? :idea:
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Irminsul wrote:I've only one Ardor, but it's the most unique poker shape (?) that I have, with a long pencil shank. And I love the rustication work...

Yeah, she's a beauty! :)
KevLa

Postby KevinP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 am

In full-on PAD mode. Just bought this one, another Ardor with the same rustication:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/esta ... _id=218930
KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am

KevLa wrote:
KevinP wrote:Well the quest for the right tobacco for this huge pipe continues...

OK, if you don't want to leave her and come back to her, how about not filling her completely to begin with....? :idea:

Sorry for the late reply (actually thought i had). I've heard it's bad for a pipe to not fill it, or to not smoke the bottom half, repeatedly because it builds an uneven cake which puts undue pressure on the briar. Whether that's true or not, I don't know; briar is a pretty hard wood. Obviously every now and then isn't going to hurt anything, but until that claim is scientifically debunked, I'll err on the side of caution.
KevinP

Next

Return to Aquisitions and Finds