Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

A long bent pipe

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

A long bent pipe

Postby steppenwolph » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 am

This strange looking pipe belongs to my step-father. No doubt he's never smoked it; he considers smoking 'a dirty habit.' Markings on the shank say "Algerian Briar" and "Made in France" on one side and "Television Pipe" on the other. Step-dad cannot really remember much about it. Do you fellows know anything? What is it even called? Step-dad was stationed in Germany in the post WWII era, and has made several return trips to Germany, Switzerland, Finland, and Norway. It may have come home with him on one such trip. It has not seen much use, but it is not unsmoked either.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Re: A long bent pipe

Postby Dodger » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:59 pm

It looks like the design is probably based on Bavarian pipes ,which can be made of porcelain .
This style and churchwardens were marketed as television pipes in the US when television took off after WW2 .so you could watch the screen without getting smoke in the eyes .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby steppenwolph » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks, Dodger! The design is reminiscent of a Bavarian design, as you pointed out. But then the 'Made in France' and 'Television Pipe' had me completely confused. Thanks for that clarification. So these were sold in this country? I was kind of thinking that maybe it was a souvenir from a long ago trip, but a French made trinket being sold in Germany did not make sense either. I'll have ask step-dad about the pipe again. There are a couple shreds of tobacco stuck around the bowl, so it's not unsmoked, but I can't imagine whose it was. I wonder what kind of smoking experience this pipe would give. It might be fun to give it a try.
Last edited by steppenwolph on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Postby KevLa » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Yeah, a 'modern' take on the churchwarden and Bavarian traditions. Might be a lovely mademoiselle to curl up with in front of le wassock's lantern ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:53 am

Interesting pipe, and, as noted, perhaps trying to be a cross between different types, but clearly very modern. Hope you can enjoy it. Let us know how it smokes.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to Aquisitions and Finds