Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

A Danish Freehand

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

A Danish Freehand

Postby steppenwolph » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 am

Here is another find. A nifty little Danish freehand with plateau briar, a little rustication at the heel, and some nifty grain, to boot. Markings on the shank say "Knute" and "Made in Dennmark" Other than that, I know nothing about this specimen. My son laughed out loud when he first saw it and said it "looks like a Dr. Suess pipe!"
I really like the grain of this briar.
Does the hole look a little off center? I think this pipe may have been a 2nd because of that.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Re: A Danish Freehand

Postby ratatosk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 am

Classic Danish, very nice! I would not assume that the chamber was supposed to be "in the center." freehands are more about expression than symmetry. I have a few and all of them have varying wall thickness fore, aft, and abeam at the top part of the bowl, that's just part of freehand art.

Get the stem cleaned up and you have a winner!
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby steppenwolph » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:19 am

ratatosk wrote:Classic Danish, very nice! I would not assume that the chamber was supposed to be "in the center." freehands are more about expression than symmetry. I have a few and all of them have varying wall thickness fore, aft, and abeam at the top part of the bowl, that's just part of freehand art.

Get the stem cleaned up and you have a winner!

Thank you for your insight, there, ratatosk! I never would have guessed that asymmetry would have been part of the aesthetic, but I learn something new everyday here. The pipe smokes very well, no gurgle or excess moisture. And it's very light in the hand for it's size. A winner indeed!
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:19 am

A beauty, Steppenwolph. I have soft spots for both Danish pipes and for freehand pipes. May she give you many contented smokes :)

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Knute
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Erik
https://rebornpipes.com/tag/knute-made-in-denmark-pipes/
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Aquisitions and Finds