Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Meerschaum PAD No. 2: $65 Paykoc

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

Meerschaum PAD No. 2: $65 Paykoc

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:10 pm

A Paykoc smooth bent apple with one of those oxblood stems @ $65.

I ordered the pipe via Amazon, but the Paykoc website is here:
http://www.paykocimports.com/paykoc-meerschaum-pipes/
The Paykoc site has a bigger selection than what's offered on Paykoc's Amazon pages. Tip: at the Paykoc site, the reason the Billiards section is so huge is that it includes pots, chimneys, scoops, etc.

Ordered the pipe on Sunday, it arrived on Wednesday (Colorado to New York State)

Cons: the end of the tenon had a small flange of molding flash on it. That came right off using an Xacto knife. A pipe cleaner passed through the button will not go past the tenon hardware and out the other side. It's catching on something in there. I think this can be corrected by removing the tenon and figuring out what's wrong in there. When the airway was drilled the bit went a little too far and left a 1/64" dimple in the opposite side of the bowl.

Pros: it smokes great. Three smokes between getting home from work and bed time. If you're used to seeing pix of guys with bo-hemoth Meers, FYI this is a normal size pipe; about the size of the Savinelli #626, if that helps. The price is great. Yes, it comes with a case. No complaints at all about the shaping or finish.

If you're the kind of guy who has fits over fabrication details, this might not be the pipe for you. For me: for only $65, it works like a rented mule.

I’m a Meerschaum noob, but IMO it’s not the case that a serviceable Meerschaum pipe has to cost into three figures to be worthwhile, but OC if you do pay that much, the pipe is very likely to be a better pipe than this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ujuJbjL4L._SL1500_.jpg
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Meerschaum PAD No. 2: $65 Paykoc

Postby ratatosk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Nice, Mr. Wolf. I think that the Paykoc I bought from a B&M last year was more like $80, but otherwise my experience with and impression of these pipes tracks with yours exactly. Moderate quality, good smoker, well worth the money. But I do plan to eventually buy something more upscale along the lines of the kind of stuff that bladeboy has.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby William » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 pm

If the Amazon link is the pic of your pipe, then great choice. Thanks for mentioning Paykoc. I found them a couple of years ago and thought "Cool sight, if I decide to order a meer, I'll check this place out." but I never marked the page and forgot about it. I appreciate they don't increase the price from their site to Amazon's. I would likely go through Amazon also because I have points there, that are just as good as cash. :D
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:29 pm

William wrote:If the Amazon link is the pic of your pipe...
then great choice.

Yes
and
Thanks! 8-)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:45 pm

p.s. I was hoping for one with a yellow stem a la Lee Van Cleef, but I guess it just wasn't in the cards.

BTW $190 and a 4-6 week wait will get you a Lee Van Cleef replica pipe from Altinok, from what I gather one of the better makers out there :

http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=FP116
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby William » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Another good site HW and you’re costing me more with each post. After reading the “Meerschaum Story” http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/meerschaum_care.asp, I’m convinced that when I do take that trip around the meer block I’ll drop a few dollars more for a quality experience. Heck, I’ve already got one picked out but at this moment the funds are short.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby FlatbushPaul » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Very nice pipe HW! Enjoy many years of great smokes with it!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:12 pm

William wrote:Another good site HW and you’re costing me more with each post. After reading the “Meerschaum Story”
http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/meerschaum_care.asp
I’m convinced that when I do take that trip around the meer block I’ll drop a few dollars more for a quality experience. Heck, I’ve already got one picked out but at this moment the funds are short.

In my mind I've spent a pretty tidy sum at that site :lol:

BTW - note the READY PIPES! link near the top of each page at the Altinok site.
Get your pipe a lot sooner, and
What You See Is What You Get
vs.
the notice on the Made To Order pipes which reads:
Please note; The pipe shape, carvings and measuring may slightly vary when made to order.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevinM » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 pm

I have one meer and it's a Paycok. Paid less than $50 for it a Tinderbox in New Orleans last summer. I like it. It's about a group 3 or 4 in size and a bulldog. My only complaint is the stem is somewhat flimsy, but otherwise I agree they smoke great and are a value.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Aquisitions and Finds