Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Le Peltier Clay pipes

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: Four Clay Pipes

Postby JacintoCupboard » Thu May 08, 2014 10:42 am

Steve. We agree regarding the deliberate breaking of tavern pipes. The problem I think is that the tobacco is where the inn keeper would make his money. If he sells someone a pipe then that person then can just sponge some baccy from his friends. Also, if he run out of pipes he couldn't sell the small amounts of tobacco. My understanding is that in colonial times a patron bought a pre-loaded pipe and then returned the pipe.

Pedantry taken with regard to the source of that sketch. Thanks for the link. :)

Fwiw I am about to pull the trigger on a Lepeltier pipe, which tho called a clay, is glazed, and is properly a ceramic, and therefore can be washed in the kitchen sink. http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/decoratedpipes.htm
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Thu May 08, 2014 2:57 pm

JacintoCupboard wrote:
Fwiw I am about to pull the trigger on a Lepeltier pipe, which tho called a clay, is glazed, and is properly a ceramic, and therefore can be washed in the kitchen sink. http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/decoratedpipes.htm

They look good ,if you pull the trigger let us know how they smoke .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri May 09, 2014 2:59 am

Will do. I got hit with a nearly 400 dollar fine for being a few days overdue on my car registration over Easter and there is all sorts of hiding expenses from my wife going on at the moment as a result. So, it might be a month or two.

On another forum Gerry said he bought one in the 1960s, so he might have something to say about them.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri May 09, 2014 3:28 am

I bought an old German, ceramic pipe off of eBay, once. One of the few pipes I've broken, as it happens, though I wasn't too upset: I didn't at all like the taste that the pipe imparted :(
I hope that your experience of a ceramic pipe is better than mine :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri May 09, 2014 4:03 am

How can ceramic impart a taste? Do your kitchen plates taint the food on them? My guess is you are detecting a difference in your tobacco and that is the ABSENCE of briar and accumulated smells in the bowl cake.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri May 09, 2014 4:05 am

"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Fri May 09, 2014 4:09 am

JacintoCupboard wrote:How can ceramic impart a taste? Do your kitchen plates taint the food on them? My guess is you are detecting a difference in your tobacco and that is the ABSENCE of briar and accumulated smells in the bowl cake.

I only know that I didn't like the taste on the few occasions that I smoked her. As I say, I hope you like yours :)
KevLa

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri May 09, 2014 4:23 am

Yer an individual fer sure Kev. Your principal objection to your ceramic being that it imparted flavours, when the principal virtue of ceramic pipes is that they don't impart flavours. :lol:

The glaze on ceramic pipes is, essentially, glass, and is therefore inert and impermeable.

Unglazed clay pipes of the type in the header post and your last post ARE porous. My understanding was that you were supposed to put them in a hot oven, if not after every use then at least regularly, to burn off any deposits in the pipe. In that 'reset' condition they should have zero effect on your baccy.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri May 09, 2014 4:40 am

JacintoCupboard wrote:...Your principal objection to your ceramic being that it imparted flavours, when the principal virtue of ceramic pipes is that they don't impart flavours. :lol: ...

I smoked a pipe. I didn't like the way she tasted. I hope you like the way your pipe tastes. That is all :)
KevLa

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri May 09, 2014 5:53 am

Kev. Some folks think Elvis is still alive. If I come across someone saying this, I think it is ok for me to ask, Why do you think such a thing? Not only do I think it is ok, I think it is important, otherwise ideas that are funky, proliferate.

I don't doubt that it is possible to have a clay pipe that stinks. The physics behind it however, says that used and maintained properly, clay pipes contribute minimally to the taste experience.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad Kev, and I apologise if I fail in this regard. While you are quite correct in that a person's experience is what it is, what I am trying to do here, and elsewhere, is sort fact from fiction. While the psychological aspect of pipe smoking is undeniable, for example a person might believe, really believe, that an expensive pipe is delivering a better smoking experience, this might just reduce to self persuasion. When I posit, in effect, 'Why is that so?' I am not seeking to undermine anyones enjoyment of the pipe, but to find out what the factual basis for experience is. That doesn't reduce the psychological to meaninglessness. But since your, or my, psychological experience might well be peculiar to ourselves, it isn't much objective use to anyone else to rest a judgement on it.

Were I to claim that I don't smoke Prince Albert because it has too much Latakia for me, does it matter that I believe that to be true, or is my otherwise legitimate, personal experience with PA, secondary to the facts about its composition?

I'm not suggesting the idiosyncratic should be ignored. But in our shared experience what is primary is that which is, in fact, shared. These things, unsurprisingly, tend to be based on the empirical.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby SteveH » Fri May 09, 2014 6:25 am

JacintoCupboard wrote:Fwiw I am about to pull the trigger on a Lepeltier pipe, which tho called a clay, is glazed, and is properly a ceramic, and therefore can be washed in the kitchen sink. http://www.lepeltier-pipes.com/decoratedpipes.htm

Must buy one of those myself some day. I've been vaguely meaning to for ages.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 am

JacintoCupboard wrote:How can ceramic impart a taste? Do your kitchen plates taint the food on them? My guess is you are detecting a difference in your tobacco and that is the ABSENCE of briar and accumulated smells in the bowl cake.

I agree it should not taste bad but I had a Dutch one and it did have an unpleasant taste after a few smokes, but for some reason I never thought about washing it out ,perhaps that is what needs to be done after each smoke .
That pipe was double walled ,a single walled one that was bought at the same was a very good smoke .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby JacintoCupboard » Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 am

I'm guessing washing is the only way to properly clean those double walled ceramic pipes because they will work like a sump. Not an issue as you note with the plain clay single walled pipes.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Fri May 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Jacinto, I don't know why I didn't like the taste of the one ceramic pipe I've smoked. And that's enough for me. I'm not offended. Perhaps a littled bemused, though. I can't help but notice that ever since I disagreed politely with you about slow smoking always being a worthy goal, you've been picking at me like I'm the big black bogey up your nose :lol:
Let's drop it now, shall we?
KevLa

Postby Falconeer » Fri May 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Well said Kevla - a handsome offer. Mind you as we all know there can be cultural differences between how different folks see or put things and humour does not always travel well.

Being honest howevert I was seriously considering shifting this debate over to the Master Debators section as I feel the thread is (a) going well adrift and (b) going a bit sour.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby JacintoCupboard » Sat May 10, 2014 1:09 am

KevLa wrote:Jacinto, I don't know why I didn't like the taste of the one ceramic pipe I've smoked. And that's enough for me. I'm not offended. Perhaps a littled bemused, though. I can't help but notice that ever since I disagreed politely with you about slow smoking always being a worthy goal, you've been picking at me like I'm the big black bogey up your nose :lol:
Let's drop it now, shall we?

I'm not picking at you. I'm picking at an idea that is in a public place. That's the way forums work. I am not going to self censor because some people are thin skinned, plain precious, afraid to challenge their existing beliefs or otherwise find that threatening in some way that they can't explain.

We are talking about pipes ffs. No one is losing an eye.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Le Peltier Clay pipes

Postby Falconeer » Sat May 10, 2014 6:16 am

I opened this thread and moved the relevant posts to enable the discussion which began 4 Clay Pipes " to continue in a more appropriate section

My personal opinion of these type of pipes? I bought one in the very late 70s thinking in my ignorance that it was a meerschaum. It smoked hot as old get out, tasted of earth, had a restricted draw and quite quickly the cork insert crumbled away. I consigned it to the "Failure Box."

...but being me and having gained a lot of experience with pipes on the intervening years I revisited the type last year - to see if it had just been operator error on my part or if I just did not like that type of pipe, I purchased a Goedewagen from Ebay, researched the topic, and tried it again. I found exactly what Kevla had found - it had an unpleasant off taste. Hot water and detergent did not fix it and surprise surprise it smoked hot and had a restricted draw. It got quickly thrown out.

I am no "techie" but personally I cannot see how the innards of the pipe can be glazed and suspect once the off taste is embedded you probably can't get rid of it.

Do I really care - do I want to be bothered wasting my time over pettifogging details for the rest of my pipe smoking life - no I darn well don't!

We are all individuals with our own tastes and ideas which is as it should be. Personally I believe in live and let live and smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Re: Le Peltier Clay pipes

Postby eric » Tue May 13, 2014 2:41 am

Falconeer wrote:I opened this thread and moved the relevant posts to enable the discussion which began 4 Clay Pipes " to continue in a more appropriate section

Thanks for doing this Gerry.

Just a few reminders for everyone else:

First of all, moving part of a thread isn't a punishment or censorship or any of that jazz. It's nothing more than organization. The reason a moderator will split a thread is because when a thread goes off topic, you now have two or more competing streams of conversation under one subject going on in the same place. It's messy.

I don't mind if people want to bicker with each other so long as personal attacks aren't happening. The only problem is that a disagreement about whether clay pipes impart taste which is devolving into an argument about the argument over whether clay pipes impart taste, and that doesn't belong in Acquisitions and Finds. The conversation you see above was moved to the opt-in section that's created just for arguing.

Experience has also proven to me that while the few participants and spectators may enjoy a debate that has derailed a thread, most of the other forum members probably don't. And there's no reason someone who wants to read about Dodger's recent acquisition should have to scroll past a couple pages of arguments or other off-topic content.
Eric

Subscribe to SPT Email Updates and stay up to date on the latest pipe tobacco news, reviews, and discussion from SmokingPipeTobacco.com.
Follow me on Facebook

About my 130lb weight loss four years ago: My NEW book will be out soon!!!
eric
Site Admin

Return to Master Debators