Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Homemade Pipe Rests?

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Homemade Pipe Rests?

Postby Smitty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:51 am

I did a search and didn't see a thread on this subject. Has anyone made any homemade pipe rests or have seen any ideas for one that only requires common tools and materials that can be found at Lowe's or Wal-Farts? One idea I did have was mounting a Japanese soup spoon on a base but I'm having trouble finding any locally. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Re: Homemade Pipe Rests?

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:42 am

Would a local Chinese/Japanese grocery store provide the spoon? Or Amazon might sell Oriental spoons. How you mount it is another question. Good strong adhesive for the base on a piece of wood? A large metal washer (ring) might provide a good round base to sit the spoon into at an angle? A good design conundrum here! Hope you can succeed in it and post some pictures.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby 12toneman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:25 am

one these? looks like something that could be made from hardware store purchases.

...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby Smitty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:00 pm

^ I like that. Simple but gets the job done.

As for the oriental spoon, I was thinking of drilling the bottom and, if the material is thick enough, counter sinking it and using a wood screw into a wooden base.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:15 pm

If the above leather rest is what you're after, check out Bladeboy's recent post in the Self Promotion section. He does these himself.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:53 pm

One could buy a cheap leather belt from a charity shop, and make several of those pipe rests using that... :idea: ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby hooboy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:39 pm

I have a friend that has a leather shop he opened after retiring and he keeps making and giving me the ones like photo of leather and a rivet from his scrap . I don't know why he thinks I need dozens so I just pass them on to others .
I hesitate to tell him enough is enough and him think I was unappreciarve because he recently gave me a hand tooled leather Cell phone case and it is a beauty . So I just says thanks.
hoo
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Return to Accessories