Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

aging ??

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

aging ??

Postby hooboy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Like many I have tobacco cellared , and some of ages great and some not so, has anyone else
experienced this and so what tobak fits into either of 2 categories!
I know a piper that says since the Blendesr have already aged their blends to their specs why try to
improve their method? I disagree BUT I do know that Burleys in my view does not age well.
any thoughts?
hoo
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Re: aging ??

Postby William » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:32 pm

I think aging is overrated and in some cases the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I hoard tobacco for other reasons than aging.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:32 pm

William wrote:I think aging is overrated and in some cases the law of diminishing returns comes into play. I hoard tobacco for other reasons than aging.

I pretty much agree with William. Short version: it takes a long time and planning to age tobacco, and I've found that I don't notice much difference. Your Mileage May Vary.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby hooboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Since I posted the first post I opened a tin of Ol Gowrie cellared for 2 years and had a bowl , I opened a tin of the same (new, as a test )and I did not determine which was which by taste or note any difference! Any one have a similar experience?
Might have to do some more tests on other blends.
Could it just be the Blenders have it right from the beginnings? If so and I find that true from my future tests It will make a big difference in raiding my celler, Just pick one and go, no longer need to date on tin.
Or could it be my lack of taste ( started to say GOOD taste) But the responses would be overwhelming! lol
any thoughts?
hoo
hooboy

Postby hooboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:23 pm

obviously no thoughts!
hoo
hooboy

Postby TigerJack » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi, Aging tobacco takes years to notice very much difference , there is a difference although not a drastic difference . Keep a tin of tobacco for ten years and then try it and you will be able to tell a notable difference. G'Day Sir
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby hooboy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Brim325, I see that you are from arkansa just curioius as to where in, My people were originally from around Jonesboro My Dad was born there, After a several deaths because of A VERY wet year that brought about Fevers and Malaria the remaing survivors relocated to Ga.
My Grandfather market hunted ducks as young man shipping them to Chicago, After reocating and there being no ducks to market hunt he resorted to making SHINE! I know that was bad BUT along with market hunting it was a means of feeding his family! Tis better than robbing banks. Doncha think? lgood day
hoo
hooboy

Postby TigerJack » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Hoo, Yes it is better , And my recent ancestor also were moonshines so I know most pretty much what you mean and we still hunt and fish for food , not because we have to but because we love the meat and fishing and hunting is fun and like the pipe relieves stress.I live very near Pine Bluff, Arkansas just 40 mile south of Little Rock. G'Day Sir.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby acaciavet » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:50 pm

I am firm beliver in ageing. I Opened a tin of Half and Half that was sealed for over 50 years and it is fantastic..I have 6 tins of Squadron leader that I cellared in 2001.Not only will they taste better but they wont sell for $10.00 per Tin Either!.I wish I would have learned this lessons 20 years ago! :lol:
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby 4nogginsmike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:24 pm

I've had nothing but great results with aging. As said, the tobacco is not dramatically different, but if 50% or more Virginia, well worth the time and effort to age it. There's a lot to know about aging; the best place to learn it, among other things, is G. L. Pease's site, but there's lots of other places that talk about it. Russ Ouellette is also very knowledgable. Also check the pipe forums.

If someone says that aging is not worth the effort, I would think they didn't learn about it and haven't done it. But remember, I love aged tobacco.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby 4nogginsmike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:25 pm

I've had nothing but great results with aging. As said, the tobacco is not dramatically different, but if 50% or more Virginia, well worth the time and effort to age it. There's a lot to know about aging; the best place to learn it, among other things, is G. L. Pease's site, but there's lots of other places that talk about it. Russ Ouellette is also very knowledgable. Also check the pipe forums.

If someone says that aging is not worth the effort, I would think they didn't learn about it and haven't done it. But remember, I love aged tobacco.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby steppenwolph » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:39 pm

I have just had a very surprising experience with aging tobacco. Previously, I would have said that aging tobacco would be a waste of time, especially if the time spent aging is measured in months rather than years. Now, I don't 'age' my tobacco, but I do like to keep a good larder stocked. I usually wait to buy until my order is large enough to qualify for the free shipping! Recently I pulled out a jar of McClelland 2015 that had been in my closet for some six months or so. Since I am rather casual in my labeling of storage jars, this particular jar had no indication of it's contents. Now, I rather have a love/hate relationship with the 2015, mostly due to the fact that I find the Perique a little too peppery most of the time. Now I am packing my pipe with this mystery blend, trying to remember what the heck it is while lighting up. It is a delicious smoke. I still don't know what it is I am smoking, but it is great! At last, by a process of elimination, I come to the conclusion that I am indeed smoking the 2015. The whole character of this tobacco had changed, the Perique now far less peppery and playing far more nicely with the Virginia than ever before. The tobacco had changed completely from what it had been new. This was a really eye-opening experience for me. Now I know that some tobaccos age better than others, and that Virginias are said to age particularly well, but I never thought that the result could be so dramatic this soon. I will not be so quick to discount the effects of aging a tobacco from now on.
This most gentle sensation distinguished by any distant receptors.
steppenwolph

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:19 am

Excellent post and further proof of the benefits of ageing tobacco, even if we forget what it is!
I find the contents of my jars have considerably improved over time. Things mellow out and become more rounded. I've no idea of the science, just awareness of the facts.
Your blend sounds quite delicious, whatever it is! I like some Vapers and have not found the pepperiness too overwhelming.
Glad you've been able to delight in your smoke. It encourages us all to build up a cellar and to put aside some blends for maturing over time.
With the increased pressures on the whole of the industry, including customers, this is another call to build up stock and provide for the future.
Thanks.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion