Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

The Pipe that Would Be King

Proud new owner of a pipe? See something noteworthy on Ebay? Post about it here.

The Pipe that Would Be King

Postby KevinP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:34 am

This Jacono should have been a King EEE, the highest possible grade if I'm not mistaken. But there's an odd grain flaw on one side, so it went out without a grade designation and with a much lower price tag.

Flaw aside, it's beautiful, and on its way to me.

Sorry if it doesn't display well (it doesn't on preview). See link below for the page, which includes pictures of the flaw.

http://www.neatpipes.com/en/pipe//?id=593
KevinP

Re: The Pipe that Would Be King

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:14 am

Now that is a beautiful pipe, Kevin, congratulations! I had a look at the flaw that you mentioned and, if you mean the area that looks sort of like a birthmark, then I am puzzled by it. It seems rather regular in shape and my first thought was that a stamping had been obliterated, but I don't know?

At any rate, enjoy that one! :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:01 pm

That is one fine chunk O Briar Enjoy
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby William » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50 pm

I agree, it's a fine looking pipe.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Desolbones » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Looking over the pictures in your link, in the last shot is the "flaw" in the bottom center and up the left side? If so there appears to be some bird eye around the lower edge, could it have been a branching of the burl? A beautiful pipe regardless. May it give you many years of enjoyment and some good conversations.
Thanks for sharing
Desolbones

Postby ratatosk » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:30 am

yes, branching does make sense! Seems like that would have been spotted early on though?
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinP » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:59 am

Desolbones wrote:Looking over the pictures in your link, in the last shot is the "flaw" in the bottom center and up the left side?

That seems to be it. The description says there is no grain there but there clearly is some, just a very different pattern.

Branching is one possibility. Wonder if the burl just hit a big rock at that point.

Pipe's arrived but I had it shipped to my office and I'm on vacation until March. I'll get it before then but not sure when. It's a big trip that requires subways, bullet trains and busses.
KevinP

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 pm

A gorgeous looking pipe. I hope you will be able to enjoy it for a very long time to come. I had a look at the pics and also felt there is some grain, different from the rest in size and colouring. Beautiful overall colour and a great design. Congratulations, Kevin.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevinP » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:19 am

Me and the pipe. As you can see, it's quite big, and the smoke looks like dancing ghost.

KevinP

Return to Aquisitions and Finds