Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Discuss or ask questions about pipe tobacco, pipe tobacco storage and aging, blending, etc.

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:52 am

I've recently discovered this and have found it to be a delightful smoke. Quite strong, but with a nice sweetness and nuttiness to it. Reminds me a little of St. Bruno in appearance and I've taken to it quite a lot lately.
I say "recently discovered " - a correction is needful here. I've also "just discovered" that I had a small jar of it stashed away from two years ago and completely forgotten about until this morning. It hasn't been opened since 2014 so I'm expecting it to be a fine smoke indeed.

Thinking, too, of jarring a couple of packs of St. Bruno Flake and letting them sit for a couple of years. A fellow pipester here has done this and wholeheartedly recommends doing it. That's the next experiment on the list...

Finally, from reading an article on improving Virginia tobaccos, the author states that he regularly places an unopened tin in the oven (yes, the oven) at 190c for 5 minutes. He apparently believes that it improves the taste wonderfully once fully cooled.
I've not come across this method before and I'm not entirely sure that I dare do it with a precious tin of favourite Virginia. Has anyone heard of this or has experimented with it?

Happy smoking all.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:58 pm

I recommend taking the tobacco out of the pouch before jarring it if you wish it to age. Also, leave it for longer than two years, if you can :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello, Kev.

Yes, it's out of the pouch and in a jar already! I will need to refrain from going near it. I'll just have to buy the SB as I go along!
Hope you and Alex have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Happy Christmas.

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks, mate. Merry Christmas to you, too :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Geo3rge wrote:I

Finally, from reading an article on improving Virginia tobaccos, the author states that he regularly places an unopened tin in the oven (yes, the oven) at 190c for 5 minutes. He apparently believes that it improves the taste wonderfully once fully cooled.
I've not come across this method before and I'm not entirely sure that I dare do it with a precious tin of favourite Virginia. Has anyone heard of this or has experimented with it?

Happy smoking all.
Steve

Hope you can find someone to try that ,like you I would not try it myself without confirmation that it works .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Maybe try a little bit first, just to test it? :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:04 am

I'm tempted to, Kev. If I do, I will certainly post here.
Happy Seasonal wishes.
S.
Geo3rge

Postby hooboy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Warning! Warning! Warning!
I just read this post and Geo3rge it is not safe, so just send it to me and I will destroy
this evil product by burning it a tad at a time!!!! LOL
Happy New Year!
hooboy
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Postby taharris » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Old Dark Fired and St. Bruno are two of my favorites.

Dark Fired Kentucky is good too.

Todd
taharris

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:48 am

hooboy wrote:Warning! Warning! Warning!
I just read this post and Geo3rge it is not safe, so just send it to me and I will destroy
this evil product by burning it a tad at a time!!!! LOL
Happy New Year!
hooboy

Only just found your post!
I appreciate the charitable gesture to relieve me of my tobacco. I am sorry to have to disappoint you at this moment in time. But if you call again in a few years, I may be able to assist.
In the meantime, it's all mine.....
Happy smoking (your own, that is...),
Stv
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:53 am

taharris wrote:Old Dark Fired and St. Bruno are two of my favorites.

Dark Fired Kentucky is good too.

Todd

I smoke St. Bruno as a daily staple, a bit like having a regular brand of tea and coffee. I will then have something special for a change, as I do with coffee in particular. I find this arrangement very satisfying as I don't need to complicate things by trying to buy all sorts of different blends. St. Bruno has been a mainstay for years, so it's part of my DNA by now, I think. I have memories from my youth of the blend being smoked by folk and it has stayed with me ever since I first began the pipe a long time ago.
Thank goodness it's not gone the way of some other blends.
Glad to find another devotee!
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby taharris » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Funny that it is a daily staple for you and a rare treat for me.

Up until recently St. Bruno was not available in the States so Imhad to import it with the aid of friends.

Todd
taharris

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Todd,
St. Bruno is one of only a couple of pipe tobaccos (the other, to my knowledge, being Condor) that are now available in supermarkets here. I would hazard a guess that it is available elsewhere only in tobacconists, whereas when I was much younger you could buy it (and other blends) in most corner shops. A sign of the times now.
It's a simple, easy going smoke and is always satisfying whilst being a relatively uncomplex blend. How long it will survive in the current climate of legislation I cannot say, but hopefully for a good while to come.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby taharris » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 am

Geo3rge wrote:Todd,
St. Bruno is one of only a couple of pipe tobaccos (the other, to my knowledge, being Condor) that are now available in supermarkets here. I would hazard a guess that it is available elsewhere only in tobacconists, whereas when I was much younger you could buy it (and other blends) in most corner shops. A sign of the times now.
It's a simple, easy going smoke and is always satisfying whilst being a relatively uncomplex blend. How long it will survive in the current climate of legislation I cannot say, but hopefully for a good while to come.
Steve

I sincerely hope so.

Todd
taharris

Postby hooboy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Geo3ge wrote....
Only just found your post!
I appreciate the charitable gesture to relieve me of my tobacco. I am sorry to have to disappoint you at this moment in time. But if you call again in a few years, I may be able to assist.
In the meantime, it's all mine.....
Happy smoking (your own, that is...

Sorry I did not reply earlier... But I believe you misconstrued my concern on this product..
As being a very helpful, kind, all round nice guy I will try to explain my thoughtful intention.
As you might know the State of California in the USA has determined that its use and others like it is
are the source of world hunger, plage , out break of wars , draught, and Earthquakes and volcano eruptions
and other dire consequences and the number one cause of Global warming , er uh make that "Climate change "
as this is the current term being used!

Anyway to set the record straight I thought is was my mission to help you in not pursuing this terrible product
and relieve you of this burden, but as you have decided (reading between the lines) that you are going to take your
chances in this well I wish you luck, as you will probably realize It in time that I offered you away out of this
pestilence due to my good nature, good luck in this now off to polish my halo!

hoo
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Return to General Pipe Tobacco Discussion