Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

B&B Pear wood no 024

If its about the fine hobby of pipe smoking but not specific to one of the other forums post about it here.

B&B Pear wood no 024

Postby rusty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm

A friend has given me this as he wasn't keen and knew I was curious about pear wood pipe.
I must say I'm pleasantly surprised how well this smokes, it's light in weight and does get a little warm if I puff on it like a train but what a nice smoke.
I'll not be worried about getting a pear wood pipe in the future after using this one none stop for two days.
rusty

Re: B&B Pear wood no 024

Postby Welshman68 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Good to hear you like the pear wood ,I have ordered a budget one for rotation and the price is good at £9.99 brand new
Welshman68

Re: B&B Pear wood no

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 am

I have not had a pear wood pipe, though I did have an Olive wood one. Smoked fine. Sounds a bargain and if it gives some good smokes, well good for you! Enjoy it. I don’t know anything about this wood and how long it lasts or whether it needs any special treatment. Let us know how you get on with it.
We’ve all puffed like a train at times!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:40 am

Nice find! :)
I don't have a pearwood pipe, though I did once, for a time. She was a Mr. Brog churchwarden that was mis-drilled so I returned her.
I do have four cherrywoods, which I treat just as briars. They're good. Thick walls are the way forward ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby rusty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am

I was initially worried about the wood burning or charring with what iv read about them , but when I recieved it almost unused I decided to do the basic break in with a few half bowls which gave the bowl a nice thin carbon coat.
Also if it feels like it's getting too hot I just put it down for five minutes.
There's something about it I really like, the lightness the feel? How it seems to smoke so easily? I really can't put my finger on it at the moment but it's the first pipe I reach for at the moment.
Because I like it that much iv ordered a similar pipe from Mr Brog in an apple bent style as that's my favourite shape, on Amazon.
I know it's not B&B but I couldn't find anything online about B&B pipes, if anyone can help that would be great, but I'm still looking forward to receiving this pipe tomorrow .
I'll keep you all updated on how it goes and how these pear wood pipes stand up.
rusty

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 am

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how it smokes. I’ve just tried Pipedia online but they only give two makers’ names and nothing else. I’ll ask someone who might be able to help.

All the best with this, sounds a good deal.
Geo3rge

Postby Listener666 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am

I only have one Pear Wood......or I might have ......I sort of have a feeling I gave it away....anyway it was a MR Brog.....couldn't get away with the shape! (smoked reasonably though)

What I have bought recently from Ebay was a very good and very cheap Olive wood pipe....artisan made in the UK....I had to put a little plug in the bottom as the drilling was similar to a cob......which I'm not keen on as it always seems to waste a bit of baccy in the bottom.....and as the son of a Yorkshireman that's just not on.... :D. ...but it smokes really well and appears to suit Savinelli - Doblone d'Oro which I like to smoke in it. I may buy another if one comes up on Ebay.....but will definitely be buying another Olive wood during the year.

Tell us how you get on with the Pear Wood.
“No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree.”
― W.C. Fields
Listener666

Postby Welshman68 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Got my pear wood today was going to hold on till my falcon arrives but alas a shinny new pipe is too much to not try out
So far its really nice not too hot gentle as we blow..
Welshman68

Postby rusty » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks George any help to identify it would be great.
Disappointingly it's not coming until tomorrow now. But iv been emailed by Amazon that's its been dispatched so I'll definitely have it tomorrow.
rusty

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:02 am

Enjoy it. Nothing quite like a pipe coming in the post. The anticipation is palpable! Hope it delivers what you want...and happy smoking with it.
Geo3rge

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 am

Rusty,
Found a small amount of information about B&B pipes. Polish in origin, now under the name of “Elenpipe”. There is a website. Here is the link...

elenpipe-sw.com

The company seems to sell all sorts of things, so it’s not exclusively a pipe shop, but it may be of interest.

All the best,

Steve
Geo3rge

Postby rusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks for that George I'll take a look today.
And my pipe has arrived, on first opening I was surprised it is smaller than expected, it's actually similar in size to my Peterson adventurer.
While looking it over the finish is actually better that the Peterson, theres no bubbles or marks in the colour and it's not pear wood.
It feels similar in weight to my Peterson of the same size. The only thing I would say is wrong is the draw hole is off centre at the bottom of the bowl. But I didn't notice that till after a couple of bowls smoked so it doesn't effect it at all.
The nice surprise is it feels and smokes on a par with my Peterson which I'm very impressed with, the bowl is cooler to the touch while smoking too. Which makes me think of a different wood to pear, it could be mahogany according to the wording of the advert for it?
The only other thing I'd mention is the 9mm charcoal filter swells a little after use and is tight in the mouthpiece when changing it.
Overall I'm very impressed as it's as nice in feel and smoking as my Peterson which was nearly three times the cost.
I'll definitely be looking at Mr Brog again.
rusty

Postby rusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:06 pm

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PJoYT0a.jpg[/IMG
rusty

Postby rusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:09 pm

I'll try again.
rusty

Postby rusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm

I'm using imgure and following how to post a pic but it's looking like the pic is too big, anyone know how to post it normal size on here please?
rusty

Postby rusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Iv found if you hold your finger on the pic a list opens and you tap on open image in new tab.
rusty

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 am

Glad you are pleased with the pipe. I haven’t use Imgur for a while and cannot fully remember the process, but I do recall it had a means of choosing the size, though I found it to be a bit difficult at the time. Good luck with further work on this.
The offcentre drawhole I’ve noticed in a Brog I ordered some while back. They do need to get this right.
However, if the pipe smokes OK for you and you are pleased with it, then that’s what counts. Enjoy it!
Geo3rge

Postby rusty » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:19 pm

I can't find any way to shrink the picture, ill keep looking.
The off set hole really hasn't caused any problems, in fact iv smoked to ash a couple of times without realising it.
I normally leave a little dottle and dump it as I don't like the taste the lower it gets in any pipe. But with this I never noticed until I went to tap the ash out and realised that's all that was left.
rusty

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 am

Seems to deliver a decent smoke, so if that’s the case then just enjoy it! I had one that not only had an off-centre hole but was clogged with the shavings left in it! I used a drill bit to clean it out as best I could.
Down the years I’ve noticed all sorts of discrepancies in various pipes and have either put up with them or shelved them. Perfection is a hard one to get right consistently!
Geo3rge

Postby Dai » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Welshman68 wrote:Good to hear you like the pear wood ,I have ordered a budget one for rotation and the price is good at £9.99 brand new

A fellow jack, nice one. I used to have a couple of Mr Brog pear wood pipes both smoked very well.
Dai

Return to General Pipe Smoking Discussion