Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

March: Escudo

Each month we'll have some focused reviews on a particular blend.

Re: March: Escudo

Postby Talonr1701 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:22 am

Escudo is one of my all time favs too. I tend to fully rub them out before loading, but it's just a personal preferance. Always very smooth, perfectly spiced with just enough perique. The virginias are very forgiving....
It also ages extremly well.....Just finished a tin last night.
I do notice that of all the blends I smoke, This and McConnells Scottish Cake go fastest...
I don't believe in Beatles...I just believe in me.
John Lennon
Talonr1701

Postby pipedawg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

Escudo is a good VaPer, sure, but it is somewhat hyped. But the recipe is my favourite of all, it's just that there are better alternatives out there. I'd recommend Bull's Eye from Orlik instead - it's because of this blend I'll name my first born son Orlik :D

But I do buy Escudo from time to time, 'cause as you all know, ones taste can change throughout the years, so can the blends. Aging this would also be a succesful experiment I think..
I want a new Radice, and then another, and another and.. All I want for Christmas are Italian pipes
pipedawg

Postby cakeanddottle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Man am I ever late to the party here. I never paid attention to this sub forum, but now I'll make a point to keep it on my radar and participate.

Here's how I feel about Escudo. A good bowl of Escudo has grassy, hay-like Virginias that are nicely seasoned with Perique for a smoke that is light and summery. It is the most summery tobacco I ever smoked.

However, I also suspect the blending these tobaccos go through prior to be spun into ropes and cut into the coins. Escudo is just as likely to strike me as peppery, to the point of making me not be able to enjoy the light Virginias here. This tobacco kind of turned me off to Perique, which I need to get over because I find a lot of favor in Scottish Cake and in some of the Lat blends I smoke that have Perique on the menu.

It's a good tobacco with a long history, but I have an inconsistent experience with it.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby ScotsJim » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:15 am

It was the lack of perique that made me prefer the Orlik's Bull's Eye I was smoking at the time I was sent a sample of Escudo.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby bearded1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Need to retry Escudo...it's been too bloody long and I can't find the pepperiness in other vapers anymore. I loved the pepper and it seems to be gone now. :(
-Paul
bearded1

Postby cakeanddottle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 pm

well I thought the Perique in Artisan's Blend was a great addition, so I'm looking forward to smoking the GL Pease Lat blends that use it. Also need to order some Peretti's Smith's Own.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby SanJu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:16 am

As Cakeanddottle said : It is the most summery tobacco I ever smoked.

Escudo is one of the first va/pe blend I try and I loved the figs in it. Since, I think you can buy better for less money... but it's an historical blend with a great style too.
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Gustav Jung
SanJu

Previous

Return to Tobacco Of The Month